Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn only slow to reverse when cold

bubbada

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN Commodore
my car for quite a while now has been slow to engage reverse when i first get in the car (engine cold) otherwise auto changes from drive to reverse while the car is warm no probs
recently just replaced the gearbox filter the fluid was still redish so i still replace the filter and put in fresh dex3 4 litres of it (i think i pulled out nearly 5 litres draining it)
so far it has made no differance, ideas?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Years ago now my VS started to do that and it got worse and worse, so I had the auto guy rebuild it as he said to fix it before it let me down.

I knew the auto guy via a close mechanic friend who also suggested I get it done to save any breakdowns and hassles.

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
Other halfs old vn did this for about a year before we sold it. Tried fluid change, filter change, etc etc and nothing much helped - Trans guy said it was on its way out but it still drove remarkably well besides the annoying delay for reverse when cold. He did suggest a bottle of the old transmission additive (think nulon or the like) which would swell the seals inside as it was most likely these had hardened with age, and this did help a little- the car was so old we weren't gonna spend anything on it. If you plan on keeping it, budget for another gearbox.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Yep,new Tranny. needed in the long run,not much point putting a 2nd hand one in that's been sitting around for years so your looking at the best part of $2000 to get it Re-co properly.I would just drive it until it stopped changing gear completely which could be years away.