Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn overheated now not running

E-T-H-A-N

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack manual
hey guys bought a new project car, ( got it cheap)

so it was having trouble with the cooling system, it kept over heating after about 20 mins driving, the old owner flushed the cooling system, and forgot to put the radiator cap back on, a friend took it for a drive and thrashed it for about 35 minutes untill it started to steam. he let it sit for a bit, put more coolant in it and drove it back. it still continued to keep getting hot but the old owner only lived 5 minutes up the road so kept driving it. now it kicks over but wont start.

now i think that it may have a cracked head or gasket and is filling the cylanders with coolant. only thing i can think of. any input would be appreciated! and im also making a build thread for this too incase you want to see it

E-T-H-A-N

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack manual
oh yeah it's a S1 aswell, if that helps at all

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Sounds like a cracked head.....hopefully it wasn't so bad that it seized the engine.

My ex misses drove her laser for half an hour with no coolant at all and that was the end of that engine....seized it to the point where I couldn't turn it over

E-T-H-A-N

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack manual
well it still kicks over at this point so id say its not seized but even if its not, i paid 200 for it with rego so im not complainning lol

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Sounds like a cracked head.....hopefully it wasn't so bad that it seized the engine.

Either way I'd just slap a second hand engine in if it was one of those issues. Have you done a code check?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I have to ask, why did your mate thrash it for half an hour if you knew it had an overheating problem? Good way to cause more damage.

If it didn't have a cracked head or blown gasket before, it almost certainly does now.

Only way to really tell is pull it apart.

E-T-H-A-N

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack manual
because he's a ####head ? lol.

yeah well the engines getting pulled down anyway. its getting some boost in the near future.

Vlt_Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Calais Turbo, Vn Calais 5L
very hard to diagnose with the amount of crap it's copped.
If you're lucky its a seized thermostat, leaking intake manifold / timing cover / water pump gasket, or ofcourse cracked head/head gasket or cracked timing cover.

Is the oil milky? if so its definetley leaking from somewhere
is water coming out of the exhaust? because thats obvious
i'd pull the plugs out and turn it over to see if coolant comes out because it does sound like there's water in there

If you're planning on keeping this engine, empty all the coolant/water out of the cylinders and sump becasue it will seize up sooner than later.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
how can it have a radiator cap if its a series 1. does it have a serries 2 radiator? cause the series 1 engines like the series 1 radiator better....