Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Project Car

brayzy98

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Calais
Hey Guys I’m looking at buying a 1989 Vn as a project car my goal is to restore it and swap the engine to a V8. Just looking for some information and tips in regards to what LS conversion I can do on that Model Etc and what to look out for when purchasing the vehicle. This is my first go at doing a project car so I’m green in terms of experience however I have basic mechanical knowledge and currently completing a Panel Beating Apprenticeship.

Any advice to get started will definitely be appreciated

Thanks!

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Welcome and here are some links to check out.
Also dont forget to look at brake / suspension / diff upgrades depending on budget.

Last edited:

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Calais Ecotec - VP Ute 3800
Be careful about the window belts / window seals. Nobody makes them new for VN through to VS (all the same seal)

The ones at the bottom of the glass on the doors inside and outside. The felt is normally wrecked and the rubber goes hard and splits.
They are meant to touch the glass to wipe off water and stuff so can scratch the glass easily.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
When buying old cars you always want them complete as possible & in best condition you can find or afford....will save tons of money & headaches down the track.

As for v8 conversion better to start off with a suitable donor so that you can scavenge everything needed...again saves heaps of time & money.

Do heaps of research,work out a budget & plan build out thoroughly because issues will happen that can't predict...it will also cost more than expected & take way longer than you want.

Got to have a few screws loose to build & actually finish a project car these days lol