Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Rear Parcel Shelf Has Been Cut

H00LiGaN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS
Not sure if this in the right area

Hi Guys, ive had my VN SS for around 5yrs and im looking at getting it registered and back on the road, So was looking to see what i was going to do with the audio side of things . Until i noticed that there are 6x9 holes cut out on the rear shelf by somebody before me. There was 6x9s in there when i got the car checked over for a roady by Brakes Plus near my house and there was no mention of it on the roady 5yrs ago.

Being as the car has not been registered for over 6months i assume it has to go over the pits at RTA to get RE Registered.

Would i have to get a new shelf cut n shut by an engineer? Any other ways it can be repaired?

Fkn 6x9's :/

Attachments

• top1.jpg
    top1.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 314
  • top2.jpg
    top2.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 376
  • bot1.jpg
    bot1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 366
  • bot2.jpg
    bot2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 375

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
you'd be pretty unlucky to have someone notice it, to rectify it would have had to compromise the structural integrity in which case probably just welding something on to restore this would be all that's needed. Honestly though, I reckon no-one would notice doing a roady.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Iffff you want to do it on the dodgy, then put the original speakers back in and dynamat both sides of the parcel tray.. cut up an old beer box to the shape of the 6x9 hole and put in between the dynamat..

taa daa what f'n hole...

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
^
That's what I'd recommend

H00LiGaN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS
Yeh nice idea. But i dont want to pass on the problem to the next buyer when I sell it tho.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
well then you need to weld in a new bit and get it engineered as it is somewhat structural -

H00LiGaN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS
Yeh ive been looking around for answers and most are saying you need to replace th.e whole parcel shelf and stitch weld it in. Must be cheaper ways than that

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Bugger em.
The proper way to fix it would be to weld in a plate, paint it and cover it with sound deadener. Otherwise it'll have to be inspected - depending on state. EDIT - beaten to the answer

I'd just get some metal/tin and tek screw it on from underneath. Again cover it with deadener and forget all about it.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
just use a Metal Bonding Adhesive..

H00LiGaN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS
Just checking the Vic roads website and i may have become somewhat lucky. Heres a link to what i was looking at. Look at step 2. Its seems vic roads wont need to check the car if it has been registered in my name previously which it has been for the previous 4yrs. If i read it correctly i just need to get a rwc from a mechanic and take it there and pay for new rego is that right?

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/new-registration/register-a-vehicle