Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Security

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
I had an average mongoose installed for about $550.. It is a pretty decent alarm ...

Put an alarm on another car, bought it from JayCar .. It is one of the paging alarms with the remote... Got it (and some plug ins) for about $400 odd.. Mate and I installed it ... It is a pretty good alarm too ...

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
a hidden kill switch could be a good idea too, but only if it's well hidden and not easily bypassable

[JUDGE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Black Vz R8 HSV Clubsport 297kw Gen IV M6

friedchicken

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
replace both the front door handles with ones without the key holes. naturally you need central locking for this to be useful...

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
yes the most sought after car for stealing :(
as they are the easiest car to knick,unless it's got a factory fitted anti theft alarm of course,and it's not pro's after the VN's with the factory fitted systems. aftermarket ones are very easy to override,no matter what you do around under your column won't prevent the thieves from knocking off your car,as long as the steering lock has been snapped,and the fuse panel cover smashed,they just yank on the wires,i won't tell you what wires to touch to get it going :)....

Well IMO an aftermarket alarm is pointless unless it has an immobolisor so have you got anything against an aftermarket immoboliser?

What are these full metal jacket things people are talking about?

Hmmm, is there any point to swapping out the front door locks? I have an alarm system coming (imobolisor, alarm, remote central locking, boot release, etc) so I will have remote central locking and boot realease.

So would getting rid of front door locks and the boot lock help at all? It would help as a deterrent at least wouldn't it?

Can someone give me some pointers on the most/more vulnerable access point for the VN? That way I can at least attempt to harden it up a little...

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
Well IMO an aftermarket alarm is pointless unless it has an immobolisor so have you got anything against an aftermarket immoboliser?

What are these full metal jacket things people are talking about?

Hmmm, is there any point to swapping out the front door locks? I have an alarm system coming (imobolisor, alarm, remote central locking, boot release, etc) so I will have remote central locking and boot realease.

So would getting rid of front door locks and the boot lock help at all? It would help as a deterrent at least wouldn't it?

Can someone give me some pointers on the most/more vulnerable access point for the VN? That way I can at least attempt to harden it up a little...

no no...i havent anything against aftermarket immobilisers,it's just that they are easy to by pass.mongoose,i think i saw someone say they had one a few posts up,from memory they were contracted for GMH as well was cobra alarms,so that makes them after market i suppose :) cobra have the lot now,movement sensors,height sensors(if some one is trying to shake your mags-it sense that the vehicle is being raised) i priced one about 6 months ago,as i thought my factory fitted cobra had seen it's last days,but it hadn't ...the full blown anti theft protection was around the $700.00 mark
no getting rid of door locks is no answer,as they don't break in that way :)
the most vulnerable places for entry into a VN is the 1/4 glass in the rear door,their preferences were drivers side rear,but they smash either side now.
these full metal jackets are only a deterrent,they still break them,if theres a need to,all they are worried about is being able to grab those ignition wires

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
When they stole mine they just broke the 1/4 glass in the rear door. and getting rid of door locks wont do anything cause they dont get in that way. If anything i would put a big metal plate behind the door handle because if they are half smart, they put a screw driver under the door handle, and if they get it in the right spot the door opens.

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
When they stole mine they just broke the 1/4 glass in the rear door. and getting rid of door locks wont do anything cause they dont get in that way. If anything i would put a big metal plate behind the door handle because if they are half smart, they put a screw driver under the door handle, and if they get it in the right spot the door opens.

when they break that 1/4 glass window,the very first thing they do is,reach in to unlock the door, secondly they reach up to the interior light,and rip that off.the more experienced ones that nick your VN with out breaking the 1/4 glass,they can open your door enough at the top to put wire down into middle of door flicking the lock button up,iv'e even seen the packing strips used to break into any holden VN onwards.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
What if you used one or more of the ignition wires as one of the immobilistation points? I'm thinking of fitting the main alarm and then a second black wire 3 point immobilisor that can be controlled seperately and should make it a tad harder to steal (hopefully). That would give me a total of 5 points as the alarm I plan on fitting has 2 points already (its a Jaycar one.... I get it at cost price through work so why not?)