Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN sedan, NO brake lights at all. fuse/earth okay.

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8L S1 VN & Sr20det 180sx
The title pretty much says it all, a friend told me the other day I had no brake lights (god knows how long they've been gone -.-)

I've switched the fuse, I checked that the fuse was getting power, and that it was transferring to the other side after cleaning some corrosion. as far as I'm aware the earth for the globe is fine, as when using the test light with that earth source everything's fine. I've tried swapping around the switch at the brake pedal for another one I assume is working, but may not be. however either way, the wires going to the switches are getting no power at all.

I was just wondering if anyone may have come across a similar issue at all where the switch isn't receiving power, or if someone has a suggestion etc before I go ripping my dash out and checking/running wires. Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers all :)

Edit: oh.. 10/10, forgot to mention, globes are okay.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Use the test light to test the switch out of the car. Put the alligator clip on the Neg post of the battery, place one of the switch terminal clips on the Pos and connect test light to the other terminal clip, the test light should light as the switch will be in the out position.

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Nah not for the brake lights, parkers and indicators are fine but I seem to be losing power somewhere between the fuse and switch at the pedal. (I'm assuming the fuse is before the switch anyway, if not something strange is going on.) Thanks for the quick reply mate :)

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Might need to place your test light at the base on the fuse connections and see if there is power, don't use the top testing surface of the fuse.

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
yeah I originally had a bit of corrosion on one side, so cleaned that off and then refitted fuse and tested both sides of the fuse, and the actual connections also (making sure I wasn't contacting the fuse at all to get a false reading) and at all times I was getting power, which leads me to believe it's something after the fuse but before the switch.

I'll go out and give them both another good clean up and see if I can get the box out enough to check the wires behind it. as I said there was some corrosion on one of the connections for the fuse so the wire may be corroded too I suppose.

edit: also i'll pull the switch out and check it on the battery as you said while i do this, just noticed that post had changed lol :) thanks!

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Yeah,check the switch before spending too much time on more exotic faults,its a common problem as the cars age.

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
sorted it out, i tested the switch and it was fine, it was just the wire going into the switch had seen better days, cut it back a little and put a new terminal on there and all good. cheers for the inputs guys! :)

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
A problem and a solution. Good job.