Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vn series 1 V6 over heating issue (Please Help)

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Picture021.jpg

Picture022-1.jpg

That's what the engine bay looks like now.

Can you post a picture of the drivers side of the engine showing all the stainless steel coolant pipes etc? and as well the top front of the inlet manifold so we can see what's happened to the 2 small pipes that join into and go into the surge tank on the earlier setup.

You need to check for trapped air and it looks like the setup you have doesn't allow you to do that easily. You may be able to get the air out by parking the car on a hill nose up and seeing if you can fill the radiator more other than that if there are plugs in the top of the inlet manifold where the small metal pipes used to go you could take one of those out and see if any air is released?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You may be able to get the air out by parking the car on a hill nose up and seeing if you can fill the radiator more other than that if there are plugs in the top of the inlet manifold where the small metal pipes used to go you could take one of those out and see if any air is released?

if you look at the first pic you can see that the little black steel pipe is still in the manifold. it has a black hose with red strip on the end that then goes back down to where the stainless pipes are. having this looped like that will create a airlock, hence i suggested he loosen the hose clamp to let the air out

M3ZZA

Reaction score
Members Ride
86 VL Turbo SL soon to be canary yellow bt1 mock
I will post up some pics tommorow.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
if you look at the first pic you can see that the little black steel pipe is still in the manifold. it has a black hose with red strip on the end that then goes back down to where the stainless pipes are. having this looped like that will create a airlock, hence i suggested he loosen the hose clamp to let the air out

I'd be curious to know where this hose connects to or if it is just blocked off, either way your right that is where the air is meant to bleed from with the surge tank setup. I found this tube blocked up on my 1990 VN just after I bought it and went to do a coolant change.

M3ZZA

Reaction score
Members Ride
There is a hose that has been blocked off on the drivers side with a big bolt. Its been t peiced.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
we would need to see how it's been set up. but i'm almost certain you will need to loosen a hose clamp to bleed it properly

M3ZZA

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just topped it up at the overflow and the radiator with the heater set to full hot on the floor,Let it run for a while and gave it a few really big revs and long high revs until i noticed next to none air bubbles i then put the cap back on and let it idle for a few minutes.

I took it for a spin and the temp light came on, and temp gauge was creeping up so i gave it a small burst and the temp light disapeared and the temp went down. I drove it around for 30min in medium traffic with air con on full ball and the temp stayed perfect i then gave it three really good bursts without the a/c on and then cruised around for another 5min with a/c on and then took it home and let it idle for 5min. I then checked the overflow and it went down so i topped it right up and let it sit with the cap off for 3min so that there was no air.

I will closely monitor it for a few days and see how the water consumption and temp gauge and all that goes and i will let you all know.

M3ZZA

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is there a difference in a series 1 and 2 radiator because some people reckon there isn't ?

Also i am trying to obtain a series one three piece water bottle setup so if anyone can please tell me how to convert it to series 1 that would be great and if someone can post pics up off there setup.

Thank you for all your help.

Picture023.jpg

Picture022-2.jpg

Picture021-1.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
lol, it sounds like the air lock has cleared itself.

there is indeed a s1 and s2 radiator. the s1 radiator has no pressure cap because the s1 system is fully enclosed.

if you need to bleed it in he future, there is a hose behind the power steering pump, black with a red strip. when cold, pull the bolt out the end, start the car, hold the hose straight up. once coolant starts coming out put bolt back in. that will clear any air out from under the intake manifold.

cheers

M3ZZA

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that mate.

Whats the best way to make it all s1 then if i get a series 1 radiator and the piece bottles.