Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Stereo Install

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
Hey Everyone,
I'm going to canberra on the 28th to get my VN (YAY), a 100% stock vacationer. I want to put a little bit of audio in it when I have the cash;

probably a pioneer HU (off Ebay)
Two 6" splits in the front
Two 6 by 9s in the parcel shelf, or something in the doors
maybe a sub in the boot

I'm not wanting Doof (WSFM Listener for Sydney readers), but I've heard that using a sub takes the strain off the other components, giving better sound.

My questions are:
1. How difficult would it be to wire this system? i'm not concerned with physical wiring, but i dont know much about crossovers, etc (if i need to use them)
2. when installing speakers in the parcel shelf, are they usually enclosed (ie something underneath the shelf - this would give better quality i imagine) or just screwed in with an open back
3. if i put the speakers in the front of the VN, where the standard ones are, will a tweeter fit as well? if not, where should i put that?

Thanks a lot. any response will be appreciated

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Wiring it all up is rather simple actually.

6" splits, will not fit where the original ones are, the stock speaker is 4" in the dash. Find a suitable replacement, they will sound just fine.

Rear speakers, if you want a sub, save yourself some money and just use 6" in the rear parcel shelf, they fit splendidly. The need for 6x9's is eliminated when a subwoofer is in use. If no sub, then 6x9's would be just perfect. They are mounted open backed, as this allows the speaker to use the ENTIRE boot as a sealed enclosure.

If you do decide to mount 6" splits, they need to go in the door (can be messy but often worth the effort) mount the tweeter where the stock 4" speaker is and the cross over can go underneath the dash. As for wiring the X-over up, it's dead easy, you have an input which comes from the head unit, then there are three outputs, one for the woofer(6" speaker) and two for the tweeter. Use the marked normal first, then if the tweeters are too loud use the one marked "-3dB" This will quiten them down a little.

FORD - AT LEAST THEY'VE CIRCLED THE PROBLEM

Ford is an oval, The Holden emblem is in a CIRCLE....so who has circled the problem? LOL

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
thanks

trunkrattler said:
FORD - AT LEAST THEY'VE CIRCLED THE PROBLEM

Ford is an oval, The Holden emblem is in a CIRCLE....so who has circled the problem? LOL

Ha ha! I didn't think of that!!! Hmm... maybe needs a change!

Thanks heaps for the help, i think I'll go without a sub, and with the 6*9s

I'll put some pics up maybe of install and finish...

One more question, I'm not too keen on cutting up the parcel shelf, and i want to re-cover it anyway. How should i remove it, and what should i use to make a replacement?

I just had a bit of a look, how does this sound:

Head Unit - DEH - P6700 - similar to http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/car_entertainment/cdtuners/dehp5750mp/index.html

6" splits - TS-D160R - similar to http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/car_entertainment/speakers/tsd161s/index.html

6*9s - TS-A6970E - similar to http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/car_entertainment/speakers/tsa6971e/index.html

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Regarding the parcel shelf, you have to chop it anyway! Recovering it? Just buy one from the wreckers that is in good nic, there not that hard to find. Perhaps even a VS one can be made to fit, I'm not sure.

Removal is rather simple, whip out the rear seat (two clips at the front of the seat either end) un-bolt the back rest (3bolts from memory) and you will find a handful of plastic pushin clips, prise them out. Look for more of them on top of the parcel shelf(easily seen) remove then. Unbolt the windscreen brakelight(if fitted) and then simply pullit towards you! You won't even break a sweat ;)

As for the audio gear you mentioned. I didn't bother looking at it. Any speakers will be slightly underpowered from the headunit. but, thats fine! Later on in the long run, you can install a 4 channel amp to powr all four speakers and then blow yourself away! But, with that setup it will already be a fair bit louder then stock ;) Enjoy.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
before i went for major doof i just had the 6x9s in the shelf and 6s in the front doors and had people thinking i had subs. the good qual 6x9s up the back really do use the boot and make good sound without subs. (my subs just make *better* use of the boot!)