Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN strut tops

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
heres the numbers before the curb and after.

SCAN0003_zps4e5db084.jpg

SCAN0002_zpsc585030f.jpg

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Hrm, well the camber is fairly excessive... not sure strut tops will take that much out... what position are the current stockies?

View attachment 168187

Caster isn't good, it should be +3 to +6 degrees ideally... guessing it's very light on the steering and doesn't self centre to quickly after turning?
Assuming it's live axle.... the diff housing is pointing in the wrong direction how flogged are all the rear bushes?

Last edited:

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
(yes live axle)

ill have a look at the rear bushes. the car is on king springs too, should maybe have an adjustable panhard rod?

heres my position.. these need replacing too, heaps of cracks in the rubber, and there sagging bad.

IMG_39591_zpscfd4e99b.jpg

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I would go the 44016 suited to power steering models.
More negative caster is good for manual steering as stated in the 44000 description "Suits manual steering models - fixed 0.5º caster - rotating camber adjustable +/-1.5º" (makes it easier to turn) with power steering it shouldn't be to much of an issue.

Well that's a good sign seeing the thread coming out on the wrong angle, probably not bent but more straighter than it should be :p

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
in other words one dosent match the other. i noticed it last time it was on the lift like a week ago, one nut and washer is at an angle squishing the bush and the other isnt...

also cheers ill order the 44016's....

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
in other words one dosent match the other. i noticed it last time it was on the lift like a week ago, one nut and washer is at an angle squishing the bush and the other isnt...

also cheers ill order the 44016's....

hi_ryder, been occasionally checking to see what direction you took, is there any reason besides dosh that KMAC Adjustable Strut Top Bearings were not considered? I know from past posts that JXW doesn't like them, but they are very good - much better IMO than Nolathane. I paid 265 for those pictured, & are really good, for instance I have just adjusted them slightly to suit the camber on the freeway up here - it took me 10mins to do, yes I have a good rally driver friend to verify my adjustments - but that's not the point. The main thing is KMAC Adjustable Strut Tops are the goods my friend, details here on Kevin's site :- KMAC Suspension

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
hi_ryder, been occasionally checking to see what direction you took, is there any reason besides dosh that KMAC Adjustable Strut Top Bearings were not considered? I know from past posts that JXW doesn't like them, but they are very good - much better IMO than Nolathane. I paid 265 for those pictured, & are really good, for instance I have just adjusted them slightly to suit the camber on the freeway up here - it took me 10mins to do, yes I have a good rally driver friend to verify my adjustments - but that's not the point. The main thing is KMAC Adjustable Strut Tops are the goods my friend, details here on Kevin's site :- KMAC Suspension

i did have a look at those but at like $350 there more than twice the price of the ones i just ordered. ive heard nothing but good things about kmac and if after i get the car on the road i hate the nolathane ones ill budget for some kmac's and use the nolathane ones on the berlina before i sell it... i cant go crazy on the spending right now till its reg'd, otherwise ill run out of money again and the car will sit for another year lol... between tires roady and reg ive got another 1500 to spend on it...

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
the k-macs and nolathane adjustables are all fairly much the same
I wouldn't suggest solid strut tops on a street car unless your roads are very smooth....

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
im a little worried too, its on king springs and its getting 18's... i bet its going to ride like a farm truck...