Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN using alota fuel

Kodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S
Hey guys, i not long ago bought my first car, a VN commodore, loving it too. but there are a few problems with it such as it used pretty much a full tank to do 300k's an i know thats not good for a v6. an the fuel gauge doesnt work well but will prob get that fixed soon, main concern is how much fuel its using anyone have any idea why or how its using so much?
thanks,

Kodie

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
300 is ok if you're talk city or part city, i get 300 in a v8 on gas 95% highway k's.

main contributors to poor fuel economy:
o2 sensor
plugs
leads

check your tyre pressures as well. set them at 34-36psi
install a cold air intake (easier than it sounds if you don't know what it is)
get a greenfoam tune

other than that i wouldn't bother touching anything else. you'll start spending more money than the economy is worth. some cars use a lot of fuel and you'll have to live with it

also, before anyone else says it, do a search as this has been covered a million times and i'm very tired and i probably missed a lot :p

Kodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S
also, before anyone else says it, do a search as this has been covered a million times and i'm very tired and i probably missed a lot :p

haha im sorry i searched around for it, been on this site most nights to kill time an get ideas for my car but never found any, an yea i've read bout cold air intake an get the idea on how to do em, the 02 sensor tho ive read about but dont rele kno how to do anythin with that so might leave that.
and whats a greenfoam tune?

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
o2 sensor is located on the headers (extractors), you unplug it, unscrew it, and do the reverse with the new one. reaaaaaly easy :). if you search for one for your car on ebay, you'll see what it looks like, then you can jump under your car and see if you can find it.

greenfoam likes bugs and he also does tunes for these cars. it will give you more power and better economy. it's just a memcal and you take the old one out of the computer and put the new one in, just plug n play (no soldering).
here is a link to one of his v8 tunes on ebay, just send him a message there and he will list a v6 one
Maximum performance VN VP VR VS V8 Commodore memcal c/o - eBay Mod Chips, Performance Parts, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 01-Sep-09 08:46:04 AEST)

also, i forgot to mention, take out all the stuff you don't need in your car like
spare tyre
jack
any other stuff you don't use in the boot
air con
etc

Last edited:

orlando

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 wagon
There could also bee a few other things responsible .

Fuel pressure regulator. pull the vacuum pipe and check for fuel in the line shouldn't be any visible.
Coils: I know mine is using considerably less fuel after I replaced a faulty one.
Vacuum leaks.
Thermostat may be stuck open resulting in the engine warming up very slowly. The v6's use a lot of fuel when they're cold.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
a really obvious one could be a particularly heavy foot..... i know it's a different kettle of fish but if i punch vigorously around town in the Captiva i only get a bit over 300k's. If i drive somewhere between granny and normal it's good for 500.

Kodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S
i dont really drive heavy, i rarely put my foot down a lot, so im guessing from what everyone's sayin its the o2 sensor(Most likely), an gettin a cold air intake will help out, lol an what if i get a flat with no spare or jack? i dont have much else in the car besides me (maybe should loose some wieght an ill save alota fuel haha) and for that tune just hit up the user greenfoam on here? ive seen some of his posts.

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
I get 300 or so city driving ..

and I have replaced everything ....

these cars like to drink alot ...

but heres what you can try -->

1.replace fuel filter , run bottle nulon fuel treatment

2.replace spark plugs and air filter

3.clean throttle body with carbie cleaner

4.make sure your tyres have 36 psi

5.remove any heavy things from the boot that you dont use

6.take some lead out of your shoes lol

markER717

Un-Donated Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 3.8L VN Calais S1
i dont really drive heavy, i rarely put my foot down a lot, so im guessing from what everyone's sayin its the o2 sensor(Most likely), an gettin a cold air intake will help out, lol an what if i get a flat with no spare or jack? i dont have much else in the car besides me (maybe should loose some wieght an ill save alota fuel haha) and for that tune just hit up the user greenfoam on here? ive seen some of his posts.

You could but his inbox is almost always full, took me about 2 months to just get into contact wiht him about 24 house to get the tune in my car.. LOL

Kodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S
Ok thanks guys this info should all help out an yea i realized they like to drink alota fuel haha.