Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn v6 5 speed with auto ecm

matt2950

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VN CALAIS 5.0
Hi has anyone tried a automatic ecm in a manual v6 vn ?. My manual ecm died and it's running on a auto ecm at the moment . any good's / bad's with this ? i presume they are different even though the part numbers are the same that right ? :drink:

krawczuk

Reaction score
vn ecm

hi, all the ecm`s in the vn to vp v6 auto/manual commodores are exactly the same.

the only difference there might be is in the memmcals.
some memcals are suited to for the auto and manual , and some memcals are specific just for manual e.g AWUZ ,
and some specific for the auto only , e.g ARBP .

i did try a auto memcal in a vn v6 manual, it ran but when ( as far as i can recall....) it was just peakin out just before a gear change or ??? the engine dropped revs or sumthin.....

but over all , i`d try it should run ok.
you will definately not damage anything if u do....

btw, how do u know its your ecm thats no good ?
mark k

matt2950

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VN CALAIS 5.0
i think it would be the memcal in the ecu fried, not the ecu as such. Not sure 1 of the 2 i just changed the whole pannel and it stopd flooding it & runs again but as i say it's a auto chip in the box at present and its just a fill in until i get another manual chip. thanks for your info that solves it 4 now

Mark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
hmm ofcourse its gona gona be perfect running if u uses different computers. but i was under the impression u can run manuals off and auto computer but u cant run autos off a manual computer.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
it would be very rare to have a faulty memcal given that about 85% of that model have had an ecm failure at some stage.
The auto memcal will work fine in a manual & vica versa.
There are very minor differences in idle settings but it will still run ok.

Cheers Rob