Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn v6 to v8 brakes

millaz88

wishin me v6 was blown :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commodore
hey sorry if this is already posted but i was just wondering what would be more worth it im thinkin about gettin some slotted rotors but have seen that the v8 front rotors are bigged for how do i go about fittin v8 rotors and calipers? do i need v8 struts or are they the same and also is it really that much of a differane im not racin it just street use mainly to from work

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
simple bolt on can find v8 style calipers on series 2 vp commodores. They have Finned calipers.witha bigger master cylinder from a v8 it will make a bit of difference

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
agreed on the discs and calipers, but i don't think the VP S2 has a bigger master cylinder, i just pulled mine and it was 15/16. i'm swapping it for a v8 one (1" MC and bigger booster)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
^^^ wot he says. If you don't change the master cyl too the pedal travel will be too long and have a spongy(er) pedal.

Reaper

Aliens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 1988
Well the VN S-packs had the VN V8 brakes.

Consisting of:

1.) Dual/Double Brake Booster rather than Single

2.) 1" Master Cylinder rather than 15/16

3.) Bigger & Finned FRONT brake calipers - rear brake calipers same as on V6

You can just swap the V6 VN front calipers for V8 ones. In theory they would perform better in high-stress situations where the brakes often run hot for example. But then again using Bendix brake pads on V6 brakes largely solves this problem anyway.

If your brakes overheat often then the bigger calipers would be ideal, along with Bendix pads.

Really, the V6 brakes with a properly bled brake system and Bendix pads should be great for a road car.

VP S2 didn't have a bigger master cylinder nor a bigger brake booster.

The double booster makes a big difference if you have an extra-heavy car etc, but is more worthwhile with the bigger calipers. The master cylinder isn't as important in my experience, again if the system is properly bled with good pads.

Forgot to mention - you can't fit 14" wheels onto the front of a car with the V8 brakes. That's why VP S2 had 15" wheels rather than 14".

Last edited:

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
Hint: VR onwards commodores also have "v8 brakes" but some are fitted with a 15/16th master cylinder.

as said above, they will bolt straight on to the v6 strut.

Diffrences?
v8 has
1" master cylinder
290mm ventilated rotors (front)
Finned callipers (same brake pads as the v6 callipers)

i didn't notice a big difference. it only makes a real difference with repeat breaking.

Rear brakes are no different V6 to v8

millaz88

wishin me v6 was blown :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commodore
alright so i just got of the phone to the wreakers n they said for vp $55 per strut $33 per dic n $33 per caliper so im thinkin about just changen the hole lot over this will just bolt up right p.s gettin the hole lot as my front struts a bent needed new ones for roadworthy anyways

phat vp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs acclaim
hey i was wandering if any1 cud help me out.i want to put the v8 calipers on my car but my rotors r 2 small will the rotors off a vs commodore fit an r they bigger hope some1 can help me out..im gettin different stories cheers

phat vp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs acclaim
o i have a vp v6 n i was givin a set of finned calipers cheers

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
hey i was wandering if any1 cud help me out.i want to put the v8 calipers on my car but my rotors r 2 small will the rotors off a vs commodore fit an r they bigger hope some1 can help me out..im gettin different stories cheers

VN and VS rotors are totally different. You need to change the hub for VS ones to fit in which case you may as well get a VT kit and do the job properly.

Reaper