Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN V8 T5 Oil

petrol_head

Reaction score
I know there are other forums on this subject but theres no definite answer , some people say gear oil some say dextron 3 , ive used the penrite 75w80 that is recommended for the manuals , but im noticing when its cold it grinds into 2nd if im not careful , when its warm its fine , so it got me wondering if the oil is too thick , thinking that it might take dextron 3 like other people have used in the world class t5s .

So please could i get a definite answer.

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
All Commodore T5s are "world class" and should run automatic transmission fluid.

petrol_head

Reaction score
So why would penrite show 75w80 listed for the manuals , also should it be dextron 3 or syntrans , and just to comfirm , on a "world class " t5 on the right hand side of the gearbox , if it has a allen key aluminium bung instead of a steel bolt than its "world class"?

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
actually Commodore T5's came out with both oils.
I worked as a tech at a Holden dealer from 1988-1989, so saw the VN's and later models come in
Originally the VN's came out with the manual trans oil 75/80, but later models they changed the friction material on the sychro rings, which was designed to work with a lighter oil, so they changed to the ATF. You really need to establish what model car the transmission was from and stick with the correct oil for that box or you risk shortening the life or effectiveness of the sychros.

I bought my VR T5 'new' - from Wez Bond who used to sell the T5's pulled out of new cars when HSV swapped them for the T56.
Strangely enough it had 75/80 gearbox oil in it. As said the later boxes were usually ATF...

So yeah bottom line is the T5 found in Holdens can use either 75/80 or ATF, depending on the model

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
Holden initially recommended gear oil but changed to ATF. Gear oil won't circulate properly around the very fine needle roller bearings. See if this helps Identifying and Assembling a T5 5 Speed. Having just had a full rebuild on my T5 in my VC track car I can assure you they are the "World Class" box. The non "World Class" box runs gear oil. I ordered my rebuild kit from the company listed in the link above. My T5 is out of a VN. World Class boxes were introduced around 1985. I use Castrol Transmax Z which was recommended to me by Mal Wood Automotive.

petrol_head

Reaction score
Thanx for the usful info , i just jacked up my car today and found the numbers 0552-050 , but dont match to the link NPreston gave me , there is also 92033088 and 4598 which i guess dont help.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I've used both oil and dex III in the old VN T5, I think it was better with the Dex III. If you use the Dex III there is also an additive you need to add. Not sure where to get it from though.

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
Thanx for the usful info , i just jacked up my car today and found the numbers 0552-050 , but dont match to the link NPreston gave me , there is also 92033088 and 4598 which i guess dont help.

I was told by T% that the numbers on our gearboxes are peculiar to Australia, forgot to mention that. The kit I bought was for the World Class box and it was the correct kit.

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
I've used both oil and dex III in the old VN T5, I think it was better with the Dex III. If you use the Dex III there is also an additive you need to add. Not sure where to get it from though.

Ive enquired about this additive at a few parts shops around the place and i was met with blank looks. Might ask my local Holden dealer next time Im there. I run dex3 in my t5 as that is what the trans builder told me to run when i got it rebuilt. But im keen to see what this additive is and where to get it from.

petrol_head

Reaction score
yer i did see someone say something about the aus numbers , makes sense since none of the numbers match with the american numbers.