Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN/VP Intake Restrictor

Skidney

Utes do it better.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP UTE
no matter wat people say their experience is with the bellmouth in or out, it reduces the area for air to enter the engine and if your chasing more power then the area for air to enter must be biger.

this is exactly what i was thinking.... it must be running shitty for some people because it isnt getting enough fuel without the bellmouth... which i guess would require a tune.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
it must be running shitty for some people because it isnt getting enough fuel without the bellmouth. which i guess would require a tune.

without the bellmouth, cylinders 5 & 6 run leaner causing rough idle. that's why the bellmouth was put on the s2 motors - to better distribute the air to make the rough buick a little smoother. this cannot be fixed with a tune. you are guaranteed a worse idle with it out, however as for the gain in power that's up to you to decide for yourself :)

but yes, do a search. the information is all there

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vn-vp-holden-commodore-1988-1993/7830-removing-bellmouth.html

Jaypolglaise

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn, vy, vz
Yo

Who's removed their intake restrictor bellmouth thing? I was thinking of doing it to mine but I'm just curious to know if it will make a noticable gain.

also my problem is that once it is removed, you have to reset the computer my holding the car at 3000RPM for 10 seconds... correct?

I don't have a tacho... so what do I do? haha

cheers fellas :beer chug:
Iv just removed mine so will see too but iv been told it dosnt get air to the back of the manifold as good it just sucks straight into the closest ports but will see iv heard it goes a lil harder but can blow easier, again just what iv been told

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I didn't notice any difference, including no adverse affects and no improvement.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Took mine out it had a stumble at part throttle...had little bit more go to it so I cut it in half & filed it smooth to original shape.

Biggest change I found was properly tuned memcal from pcmhacking peep...tried most of vn/p revised memcals even sv3800 & an aftermarket version they all had one issue or another untill got last customised version.

Didn't really go much faster but way more drivable & crazy economy for manual vp v6 with 200k on it driven in horrible Sydney traffic.

Reactions: Lex