Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn vp - vr vs v8 k-frame

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
ok so my boss is working on an ex-cop vn v8. the k frame had some damage and we decided to just source another one. so we went down the street to commwreck so see if there they had any in stock. he only had one from a VS and he wouldnt sell it to us.

he recons the vr vs v8 k frame is different to the vn vp one. claims the steering rack mount is like half cm higher and will cause unnecessary strain on the rack. this guy has been wrecking commodores for a long time (in his 60's) so im kind of confused why he'd go against everyone else on the planet that says theyre the same.

can anyone confirm or dispute this dudes claims with a side by side comparison or some measurements of the 2?

cheers people

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Best I can do is crawl under a vp with vs k-frame in it and measure that.
Had no problems bolting the rack up from the v6 k-frame, the intermediate shaft sat straight back on where it was meant to..... got nfi what would be strained.
Just tell him you'll cut the rack mounts off the vn k-frame and weld them onto it and make it right :p

Last edited:

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
just tell him to stop skipping his meds

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Sometimes those wreckers blokes think they know it all and then some... I just take everything said with a grain of salt and do my own research, I'm putting money on them all being the exact same, only difference with power steering vn and vs is vs has longer rack ends

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Since when did wreckers care if they sold you the wrong item?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Just had a look at a v6 k-frame and i can't see how the mounts could be raised or lowered that much, if raised they'd be over big piece of pressed metal over hanging the back (physically impossible to lower them)
Maybe he's confusing vb-vk 6/8cyl with vl-vs 8

Stuck my head under the car, V8 has the same issue, can't physically have the mounts higher or lower.

Last edited:

Roota355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR UTE 5.0
Maybe just ring holden and get them to do a part number search on both models.

I always thought they were the same though

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
When in doubt I search ebay, usually heaps of photos and descriptions on there to compare.