Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN vs VS

vsuterus

Reaction score
Wait until he's just filled his tank right up and have yours just about empty - that'll be an extra 50kg weight difference. (unless you're fat and he's thin and it'll balance it out!)

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
My god you VP people have no clue, I had a VN Calais and against my cousins VP 'S' he would only get me up in the higher rev range, I would get him off the line everytime, and now with my VR he has no chance!!!

The VP is a slug!!!

AirStrike :air:

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
of coursethe vn will win. it may be older but there a faster car. they were one off the vps and when i raced my mate the vp kept up with the vy. go get then m8 and show then what the vns are made of.

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
I was first inclined to say the VS would win when i first asked the question myself about this time last year but unfortunently the VN will come out in front...not by much though it is enough to be classed as a win :)
I would have thought that the VS having the 20odd kW advantage would conpensate for the extra power but then you have to look at driver weights and fuel load and cargo etc. for each

Kurt.

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
I have a VN with a VP Series II Engine in it and off the line it's gotta be a soft take off or I get wheelspin. (stock with 30% tread). I've never raced the car nor do I condone street racing in any way, shape or form. I've just hooned it at lights, ya know, test the limits. (yes the car is unregistered and unroadworthy but I do have an Unregistered Vehicle Permit)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Close race

I've done some extensive testing with VN vs VP

250,000 km VN (100% stock, running mobil 1 oil) and 160,000 km VP FE2 (VS V8 cold air)

From a standing start the VN was always faster to 100, I think it might have helped that this VN has hard and raised towing springs and the VP had FE2 which makes it a little harder to get going without wheelspin, the VN hooks up harder without wheelspin then again the VN engine may just have more torque down low, either way it's never lost from a standing start. From a rolling start the VP will gain on the VN SLIGHTLY on the top end, only a fraction of a second and you can probably put that down to the cold air intake and the VP's better exhaust manifolds. The VP is gone now and has been replaced with a manual VS V8 FE2 with 80,000 ks on it. The VS is mind boggling fast at high speed compared to the V6's but I think the VN would still take it 0-80 and maybe all the way to 100ks due to how long it takes to shift gears in the manual. The only difference I found with the VN and VP engines is that the VN runs 10 times rougher and the VP had a really nice intake sound after the VS intake was on it. I've also driven a few VR's and they are a bit slower than a VN or VP, not sure why but they are. I can also confirm that a VN is faster than a brand new VY V6 Ute (which feels about the same speed as a VR, but sounds a whole like more sporty) and much much faster than a very good condition AU II Falcon, And much slower than a BA falcon :(. I know none of this add's anything to the VN vs VS debate but one thing is for sure, pre VZ the three fastest V6 commdores are VN, VP and VS : )

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
Looks like I made a good choice with the VN + VP engine.

I didn't even look into performance factors when I wanted the VN. I was making a delivery to this woman and she had a VN for sale for 4k. If I had 4k I would have given it to her then. Before seeing that VN, when asked "Holden or Ford" I would have said "eh they're both alright" now it's all "HOLDEN DAMNIT! WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT?!?!?"

manvpwgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp ex.
i gt a stocko vp.manual. beat a vt auto not too long ago.had a kit an tip so i guess hees spewin.also had his girlfriend so mayb he lost some respect as well as the fight.

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
I never thought it would bring up this much fuss, well im planning this race out very well hopefully alot of ppl will want to go in his car so im going to play out the 'go in his car as he will win and im gona go home for a bit' so his car has more weight behind it a good 150kg+.

Drove a mates mums toyota lexen today, just as a benchmark to see what ill be driving when i get my vn hopefully sometime this week when the cheque comes thru.

burnout vid footage:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/detrax/clip(5).3gp
http://members.optusnet.com.au/detrax/clip(9).3gp