Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn wagon misfiring

radiohead

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn exc/vtss
Hi all just wondering if anyone could help me.This is driving me crazy.My vn wagon only misfires after travelling 100ks or so.I usually go to melbourne once a week.Its fine on the way there which is around 110ks.On the way home it starts misfiring badly.Its not a one off,its happened every week for four weeks now.Its not a fuel problem because it does it on gas too.Could it be the coil pack?I have changed the plugs and leads and it sill does it.Just wondering if anyone else has had this strange problem.Thanks for a great website guys:thumbsup:

aussiecrusader

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN executive v6 3.8L
yeah mate, mine was misfiring pretty bad when i brought my vn. it ended up being the coil, but mind you it had **** loads wrong with it, and it needed a new fan belt, harmonic balancer, spark plug leads, radiator cap, wiper motor etc etc.. and all that was only $470 from a mechanic.. execpt for the harmonic balancer that was changed by me..

if you know how to change the coil pack and dont mind experimenting give it a go, but you probably dont want to spend money on things you might not need.. but yeah a new coil did my car wonders.. and she runs beautiful now

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
I had a similar problem with my VN last week, also on gas. Mine ran on five cylinders all the time from cold though.
I replaced the crank angle sensor (CAS)which fixed it but then my coil died.
If you are sure the plugs and leads are good test the coil first and then the CAS. Many times the coil will test fine unless the motor is under load though.
Because it occurs after a lengthy trip and obviously when the motor is hot it sounds like the CAS.
Next time it happens pull over and pour some water over the CAS and see if it improves.
That is not my own idea but one that is suggested in many threads here and helps identify a faulty CAS.

radiohead

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn exc/vtss
its fixed

Thanks for the replies.It turned out to be two ignition leads.The car **** itself 100 ks from home.I had no tools and only 100 dollars.I walked to the nearest repco and bought a set of leads.And it runs well now,but I still can,t figue out why it only did it after travelling 100 ks or so.Thanks for the help guys.