Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN Will Not Start After Washing Engine

kym192

kym j
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH sl, VT berlina, VN berlina, VH SL\E
i had the same problem in my vt after i gave it a was didnt want to start ended up being the crank angle sensor and all i can say is have fun getting the ballencer off took me age's to get the thing off but once its off its only two little bolts and its off

joe seinfeld

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN II Berlina
i had the same problem in my vt after i gave it a was didnt want to start ended up being the crank angle sensor and all i can say is have fun getting the ballencer off took me age's to get the thing off but once its off its only two little bolts and its off

yehh ive given all the drying stiff a shot, still death.

bought a new CAS today and wanted to put it in myself.

Whats the hard part about it??? ive read a few things on how to do it but got no idea what this puller tool is?
How likely am i to sh*it somethin up the wall trying to do it myself.

Ive got a mate whos got a puller but he didnt wanna do ti for me incase he killed something

donboy2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
If it is your crank angle sensor get yourself a set of pullers you will need 6mm bolts for the pullers .

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
its not hard, im 16 and did it fine the first time

joe seinfeld

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN II Berlina
its not hard, im 16 and did it fine the first time

any trick to it??

just had so many people say its nearly impossible to get the gap right when puttin it back on and if its slightly off it will smash the CAS and therefore put my wallet out again a **** load

donboy2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
mate when I bought my vn I had to change the harmonic balancer. What I noticed was the CAS is only held in buy two bolts. Now when I bought the harmonic balancer, The spare parts place wanted to see the old one because there are 2 different parts one pre 1990 and one post 1990. the difference is the length of the blades on the back of the balancer. As far as I'm concerned the only trouble that can happen is if you butcher the harmonic balancer.
After removing the belt and radiator . The bolt on the front of the HB can be pretty tight. What worked for me was, putting the right sized socket on thr bolt on the front of the hb then attach a breaker bar and make sure you have it touching the ground on the passenger side of the car and just for a split second turn the ignition so the startermotor turns a fraction. (If this doesn't work then you will have to try something else) now get your pullers with your 6mm bolts and screw them into the three holes . then use a shifter or spanner tighten the centre bolt on the pullers until it eventually comes off. If it is stubborn, lightly tap the hb with preferably a mallet but you can use a hammer trying not to do any damage. this should exposes the CAS and the 2 securing bolts. Take the bolts out and unclip the wire plug.
I hope that helps lol. Good luck.

Last edited:

joe seinfeld

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN II Berlina
mate when I bought my vn I had to change the harmonic balancer. What I noticed was the CAS is only held in buy two bolts. Now when I bought the harmonic balancer, The spare parts place wanted to see the old one because there are 2 different parts one pre 1990 and one post 1990. the difference is the length of the blades on the back of the balancer. As far as I'm concerned the only trouble that can happen is if you butcher the harmonic balancer.
After removing the belt and radiator . The bolt on the front of the HB can be pretty tight. What worked for me was, putting the right sized socket on thr bolt on the front of the hb then attach a breaker bar and make sure you have it touching the ground on the passenger side of the car and just for a split second turn the ignition so the startermotor turns a fraction. (If this doesn't work then you will have to try something else) now get your pullers with your 6mm bolts and screw them into the three holes . then use a shifter or spanner tighten the centre bolt on the pullers until it eventually comes off. If it is stubborn, lightly tap the hb with preferably a mallet but you can use a hammer trying not to do any damage. this should exposes the CAS and the 2 securing bolts. Take the bolts out and unclip the wire plug.
I hope that helps lol. Good luck.

cool thanks heaps man, ill give that a shot when it comes in on monday. ill let ya know how it turns out.

now i just gotta get my hands on a breaker bar