Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN wont start

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
Hmmm pointing that way I'm thinking. It has been said on this forum not long ago that they gained 1/2 a tank by putting a new connector on.

A good clean with some 240 sand paper or small file + a squirt of CRC may just do the trick.

Will definetly try that. Thanks alot! When I bought the car I had to put a new fuel pump in the car to get it going to get it home. I was rushed cause I just wanted to get the thing home, so guess I sort of did abit of a bodge job :p

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Will definetly try that. Thanks alot! When I bought the car I had to put a new fuel pump in the car to get it going to get it home. I was rushed cause I just wanted to get the thing home, so guess I sort of did abit of a bodge job :p

Hmmm you may be on to something there:)

So the tank may not be empty - just not reading right:thumbsup:

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
UPDATE:

Well my order came through so I'll be getting the new IAC valve tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes. Also checked the voltage on the fuel sender. It measured 10.05V. Is that right? I might be measuring the wrong thing though. Does the connector look like this: (o o o) ??

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
Success!

Well I put the new IAC in and she started first go and running beautifully now. Its odd how the symptoms of the car not starting are never mentioned in the Gregory manual as being related to the IAC valve. Well anyway here are the symptoms:
1. Engine rough at idle and almost seems to misfire (Goes away when driving)
2. Dry spark plugs

On another topic, I checked my sender connector on the fuel pump and fiddled around with it and re-connected it and now it seems to be reading accurately. I now have just over half a tank of fuel left according to the gauge. :thumbsup:

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Awesome ^_^ glad you got it fixed up! The old manuals probably don't talk about some issues because they weren't common at the time of first publication. They're getting quite old now, and I doubt they're going to release a second edition :p lol

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
Just as started to get excited...

Just as I was getting excited I took the VN for a good run last night and it began to shudder and stall... pretty BADLY actually. Sounds like a landcruizer diesel now and misfired badly! But anyway I checked the leads for high resistance but they all seemed fine... that is until I turned the lights off and ran the engine.

Leads lite up like a christmas tree. Reckon the insulation is stuffed. Havent changed the leads since I bought it so I'll be changing them a.s.a.p! Anyway I was wondering, would the leads affect the car that badly? Could it also be a CAS problem?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Yes the leads will make the car misfire - moreso under load.

89berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN Berlina
Rough as guts!

VN is still running incredibly rough and Im starting to get sick of it!! Changed the leads over, that seemed to have made it better (not stalling anymore), but still sounds like it missing on a cylinder. Took for a test drive and it has absolutely no power when you floor it either. If you anyone could please hlep me fix this cause its costing me alot at the moment :bang: I'll try give you as much helpful information as I can.

Well firstly the fuel pump had been whining quite abit before all this happened. I know the pumps normally buzz away but mine was whining really loud! The pump was replaced when I bought the car and it was running on very low fuel supply. Could this possibly be the problem??? Will check the fuel system pressure but just wanting some prior knowledge so I can source out whats wrong. It doesnt stall at the moment but it idles like it has a hot cam if that makes sense to someone. When you accelerate it also seems to be really rough. Any help would really be appreciated!!