Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp 5.0L has oil light issue

VP 5.0 BERLINA

5.0 The only way to go
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP BERLINA S2 5.0L
i have an issue with my 93 vp berlina V8 the oil light flickers on at idle im told it could be a stuffed oil pump if it is how hard are they to change?? i hope its the oil pump cause one of my mates suggested that the engine is wrecked :( i hope not

donboy2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
HSVaengine.jpg

Here is a diagram Would most certainly be on the bottom left . Would only be a matter of a couple of bolts and a wire.
Worth a try.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id replace the oil pressure sensor first,it might just be faulty. Ive seen them cause the same problem as yours with the light flickering on and off..If the engine oil pressure is really low,you will be able to hear the engine rattle at idle,if the engine sounds ok and is quiet at idle,it will most likely be the sensor.The V6 oil pressure sensors are worth $25 from holden.I guess the V8 ones would be a similar price.You could also get a mechanic to connect an oil pressure gauge to the engine to check the oil pressures.

VP 5.0 BERLINA

5.0 The only way to go
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP BERLINA S2 5.0L
the oil pressure is fine turns out it was the oil in the engine was to thin and wasnt pumping through properly but now ive found i have a rear main oil leak :( so i guess its engine out for me :(