Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP 5.0ltr Transmission worries

Toby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS & VE Berlina
GDay All, I have just had the torque converter seals replaced along with a reco converter, I dropped the trani had the local garage do the repairs and then I fitted the trani back in, As instructed I filled 5 ltrs fluid ran the motor then topped up with a further 6 ltrs 11 in total. The problem is she hangs on to the gears (Before repair no problems other than leak) I fiddled with the kickback cable till an inprovment was gained but it still is unsatisfactory. I used dextron three fluid however I suspect the trani hangs on worse once heated so I will try dropping some fluid incase of frothing other than that Im totally out of ideas, Hoping some of you have had simular problems and may like to share the remady with me, Thanks In advance.

Kruza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dumped IRS VS Acclaim 3.8, VR Stato Caprice 5.0
from memory, the auto boxes take around the 15lt mark. well, thjats what my old vp wagz took before it ran any good......

have you got a trans cooler also?? very good investment to save the life of ur auto...

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
i believe its 5 liters for a regular service and an additional 5 liters if filling the box from empty to fill the converter.

When resetting the kickdown cable you flick the tab, then instead of turning the throttle under the hood, hop in the car and press the pedal instead, this will be an accurate reset.

Commodore autos do have a problem with kickdown, whether you reset/tune them or not, usually caused by a stretched tv cable.

Toby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS & VE Berlina
Yer thanks fella's, NV_90VN 15 lts ? really!! :yeah: I originally used 11 ltrs but have since removed around 1 ltr for a total of 10, but thanks for your input. vnv8driver you mentioned a streched TV cable causing problems with the kickdown, Is it possiable that this could also caurse the trani to hang on to gears like a pit bull terrior? You may have realised by now that I'm reall reaching for a solution here. I love this car but at the moment she sits alone in the garrage...:w00t: again thanks for the input. BTW It was mentioned to me that the fluid I used isnt any good, Is this a possiable caurse for my prob? The oil used was Mobile multipurpose dextron III. I have never used this product before but as this was a total refresh of fluid I had no worries of contamination from a mixture of different products.

Last edited:

Toby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS & VE Berlina
Thanks guys, This problem has been sorted :) For those interested, It was a damaged kickdown cable, Yer I would never have believed that this would be capable of the symtoms that I was getting :whistling To my mind a kickdown cable would be only for the things that the name decribes. Thanks for the input from the two that did reply both were of great help in the process. :thumbsup:

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
do i get any rep points? :) nah glad you fixed it, to answer your precious question the condition of the fluid is everything to make it run the way it should, if the fluid loses its grip, your going to experience poor shifts and slipping. As for the tv cable, its a major problem which can prevent full throttle acceleration, even if your accelerator cable is in good nick and adjusted! youll probably find a few spots where the car performs better and is more pleasant to drive.