Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp battery negative burnt!

nicola

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 HSV vp + Six
hey guys ive had this car for almost a year now and replaced alot of stuff alternator, plugs,leads,battery, ect and ive been running 2 12" Cadence subwoofers with 6x9 and 4x4 speakers and now when i drive around a corner the car pretty much dies so i took it to autobarn and they done a battery n alternator test, the battery is fine and for some reason the 4month old alternator isnt charging the battery good enough so i took it home n had another look, the positive is on the battery n the negative is pretty much burnt off at the part were it joins to the terminal and when i have the stereo on the negative gets really hot, would i just rip off the old metal bit on the negative n put a new one on then back on the terminal?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
replace the negative lead that is burnt with a heavier gauge wire, you're obviously pulling to much current through it for it's size.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
^^ x2^^ and make sure you have good bare metal grounds on your negative points. including your audio equipment...

vpcomm92

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore S2
I had this EXACT issue, every corner especially right would cause the card elecs to go NUTS
Had random lights flash, interior dome would go nuts, head unit cut in and out and engine surge, a load of weird ****. Eventually my car wouldnt start. I looked at everything before the most smallest issue turned out to be the cause, a bad negative. The original commodore battery post clamps are crap at best and over time they become corroded and crap.
I replaced the negative and have never had the issue since. You're burnt negative would be due to extremely high resistance on it, resistance with a huge load = heat, and burns and melts wires. I wouldn't be surprised if your battery exploded.
Go to supercheap, pick up a 2ga cable with a lug on either end. Place one end over a NEW battery terminal for the negative, the other to the original body negative cable bolt (where the original negative wired into the body. You may find it refuses to actually unbolt, just loosen it, clean the area and make sure it's bare metal, place the lug snugly on and tighten to get best contact.)
Also wouldn't hurt to upgrade negative to engine block either as that can cause funny problems like failing to start.
Once that's all done, go take the car around some corners and put the car under an electrical load, such as demister, sub, amps, high beams, AC, turn them all on. If you have a voltmeter or Calais cluster watch the voltage, shouldn't go below 13.8/13.6 volts.

I seriously thought I had severe engine and electrical issues, but it was the negative. You'd be surprised by the weird crazy stuff a bad ground can cause.

Good luck!

nicola

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 HSV vp + Six
yeah its the negative from the engine to the battery that is burnt,
thanks for all the help ppl