Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP (Black) Window Wiper in dash control bank

SeannGibbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VP Executive Wagon
Hi,

I am the proud owner of a VP Executive Wagon. Simply the best car I have ever owned. The window wiper (in-Dash) switch has broken. I am presently searching for a replacement. As I have learned the VPs were a bit special in the sense they were not made for long and sourcing the correct switch is proving to be difficult --> impossible.

Is there someone in the community who may have the part kicking around and wanting to sell? Apparently the characteristic of the VP switch bank is that it is black plastic opposed to the grey plastic of the VN switch. The buttons above the twist wiper switch are as follows: Top button = Hazards, Middle button = demister, Bottom button = dome light.

Ideally, I would like to source the original part to suit the car but am willing to compromise. Can anyone tell me if the VN switch will operate the wipers knowing full well the button controls will not suit for the VP setup. Happy to forgo the hazard lights if I can get the wipers going.

Any help or information would be most appreciated.

Sean

Attachments

• VP Wiper Switch.jpg
    VP Wiper Switch.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 106

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There is a VR mod that can be done on the wipers. I think it was @markovr that did a wiring diagram for my VP back in the day.
I still have it somewhere and might even still be able to find the thread. It was back in 2006 I think?

It means you can use the VR Wiper switch and have a park function.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Hi,

I am the proud owner of a VP Executive Wagon. Simply the best car I have ever owned. The window wiper (in-Dash) switch has broken. I am presently searching for a replacement. As I have learned the VPs were a bit special in the sense they were not made for long and sourcing the correct switch is proving to be difficult --> impossible.

Is there someone in the community who may have the part kicking around and wanting to sell? Apparently the characteristic of the VP switch bank is that it is black plastic opposed to the grey plastic of the VN switch. The buttons above the twist wiper switch are as follows: Top button = Hazards, Middle button = demister, Bottom button = dome light.

Ideally, I would like to source the original part to suit the car but am willing to compromise. Can anyone tell me if the VN switch will operate the wipers knowing full well the button controls will not suit for the VP setup. Happy to forgo the hazard lights if I can get the wipers going.

Any help or information would be most appreciated.

Sean
Are you sure this switch won't operate the wipers? The washer button is missing so the washers certainly won't work. These are hard to get but I assume that you are keeping an eye on ebay and gumtree.

If everything else in your wiper circuits has been checked out and is OK you probably do have a defective switch. I've had to disassemble and resolder dry joints in both of my cluster switches. Instructions are in this forum somewhere.

You might be able to locate a washer button from a broken switch - they have a very fragile plastic stalk- my stalk has been replaced with a cut down 3 inch case nail araldited into the button head- its worked fine for about the last 10 years.

If you do find a second hand switch there's a fair chance it will still have dry joints that will need fixing but these things are so rare you have to take what you can get.

Reactions: Lex

SeannGibbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VP Executive Wagon
The VN switch appears to be similar. Does anyone know if it will work for the wipers or dont waste my money?

I'm more of a plug and play expert not a rewiring guy.

Thanks
Sean

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
The VN switch appears to be similar. Does anyone know if it will work for the wipers or dont waste my money?

I'm more of a plug and play expert not a rewiring guy.

Thanks
Sean

It will work,just colours are different. As Mike said theses pop up on eBay, Gumtree all the time and if you have any wrecker close by drop in and see. Usually, they have lots in draws.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Make sure the switch you buy matches yours exactly- Holden had a few options on this basic design.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yes. My VP switch block needed replacing and there was a reason why a VN block couldn’t be used. Don’t recall what it was because 20years ago.

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
Yes. My VP switch block needed replacing and there was a reason why a VN block couldn’t be used. Don’t recall what it was because 20years ago.

Apologies. Thought they could be used on tbe basis they seem advertised on ebay by wreckers as interchangeable.
Just goes to show.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Apologies. Thought they could be used on tbe basis they seem advertised on ebay by wreckers as interchangeable.
Just goes to show.
Basically any replacement switch needs to have those buttons in in the photo those exact positions. Many look the same but don't match.