Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP calais power antenna with aftermarket head unit

FCCOOL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore,VP 5.0 calais, 2x59 FC,
I am just putting a new head unit in my wifes VP calais, it was all pretty straight forward till i got to the power antenna wires, it has one for up and one for down.

The head unit like most has one power antenna wire.

Now everything works but the antenna wont work even of the switches so how is this usually wired up with a aftermarket head unit.

if worse comes to worst i could probably try jamming a relay in there but i dont want to if there is a easier alternative.

FCCOOL

Reaction score
Members Ride
just sorted it, i must have been using a guide for a lower spec or earlier model, the power ariel wire from the hu just goes to yellow/red.

FCCOOL

Reaction score
Members Ride
got it all together except i cant mount the hu becuase the rca and aeriel plugs wont let it go back enough, might nead some L plugs but once i got it all back together i had a problem, now there is a burning electrical smell when the car is running, its not there when only ign is on (reds), its only there while the engine is running, ie had the console out and left kick panel off, the stereo works fine but something is wrong when the engine is running, what have i done?

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
how many rca leads?

recheck all wiring, and use heatshrink this time.

FCCOOL

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok, i got some L adapters for the rca out, the rca in from dvd is on a lead and no problem, i also bought a rite angle ariel extension but its not much shorter.
All wires are soldered at different lengths so if one joint brakes through the heatshrink it cant rub through another, the memory and acc wires are wraped in two layers of heatshrink.
We have owned the car for about 6 years but it had a carphone, extra alarm and cd stacker and the wiring from them looks to be joined by twisting the wires together and putting electrical tape on them, i also now can not shut the rear drivers side window, im going to pull the console apart again and see if ive pulled or knocked some old dodgy wiring, might also disconnect the h/u and do a voltage test with the engine running incase the reg is going over 14.5

FCCOOL

Reaction score
Members Ride
might sound silly but i think the smell was coming from a leak in the exhuast, the car seems to be running very rich, i am a carb person so i dont know were to start with that problem, 02 sensor maybe.
the pass rear window was just a plug not fully connected, tomorow i might rip all the old accsesory wire out from the car phone and alarm and check it out for any exposed live wires, also i think every bit of plastic in this dash has atleast 2 broken tabs, is that common? its 2 tone blue inside wich i rarely see at the wreckers in a calais.