Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp calais project #2

E-T-H-A-N

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack manual
hey guys, bought this the other night after getting my vt defected and having to drive around an auto kj laser around for months the desire to get into another commodore grew stronger and stronger every day, so after looking at a few cars on gumtree i came across this vp calais, some of you may remember my white vp calais. but anyway i paid $800 for it, it is a serise 2 vp calais, auto v6, anthrecite grey with tan leather interior. my plans are to respray it black within a few weeks.

my intentions for the car is to respray it, manual it, clean it right up like retrim the seats and use it as a nice daily.

so the list goes like this
-shave bonnet badge and boot lock.
-ss kit i already have the front lip and bezzels in just need sides and rear lip
-paint, i want to go black and get rid of the silver on the bottom, im using protec 2 pack jet black, 3 coats solid colour, 2 coats of clear with some black in it than 2 or 3 coats of straight clear.
-get the 2 front seats re trimmed
-manual conversion
-wheels im thinking ve ssv's. or advanti chopper wheels.
-suspention 2" lower than stock, new shocks and some bushes up front need doing.

P3130306.jpg
P3130307.jpg
P3130308.jpg
P3130309.jpg
P3130310.jpg
P3130301.jpg
P3130304.jpg
P3130305.jpg

Last edited:

E-T-H-A-N

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack manual
also forgot to add todays effort's. considering it was a public holiday i got a fair bit fone. i managed to get the door trims off, remove the tow bar. i even got a pretty good score on some parts i think i really got my moneys worth off gumtree i bought a calais grill mint original condition ( mine had an exc grill) a mint vp garnish, its not cracked at all so i had no choice but to buy it and a right hand tail light loom mint all for $60.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
still got the mould for the 2nd hand guard? if not youll be hunting for a while. that drivers seat is clapped out... any damage around the battery box, under those 2nd hand parts? shes rode hard and put away wet, but a paint job, and some new leather will work wonders... not to mention a new carpet, or maybe that one will shampoo up a threat... have a go

also if your going to use protec make sure you use their clear too, ive had problems with that system and cocktailing... also id stick to just black base and multiple coats of clear.

mixing 2k clear with 2k direct gloss pigment might not be a good idea. you might not have any problems down the road but its a risk using paints in a way thats not recommended by the tech specs. if you do have a problem then protec will just tell you to get stuffed cause you used it the wrong way... i paint by the numbers and rarely run into problems...

E-T-H-A-N

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack manual
yeah the seats munted haha, i did have intentions on getting the interior as smick as i can, hood linning, recover the seats and the carpet has a big stain on the passanger side, ill give it a go steam cleanning the carpet and ****. nahh i dont have it, i know a guy that has an ss guard so ill have to get the red chromed but if he doesnt have it anymore i will be looking a while i know.

yeah im a spray painter, i will be using the protec clear with the protec base, the idea of putting some colour in the first few coats of clear is suposed to give the paint depth but i cant see it making much difference considering that the clear will bite into the base and do the same thing anyway wouldnt it ?

also got some vr door handles today and vr door pockets so ill polish the handles at work tomorrow and get the door pods painted some time this week.

E-T-H-A-N

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack manual
okay so bit of an update. yes it was primed out side, but its getting top coated at work in the booth, im in mixed minds about the colour at this stage, its either white black or dark greay im not sure yet though. i was going to buy an import but i dont see the point really, i cant use all the power and cant slide it much on the street so im going to keep the vp as a daily, thinking of putting a L67 in it just a bit more power nothing silly. and building a track car i will probly take the motor out of this and put it in a little coroller or gemi with a T5 behind it and track that. i hopefully get the rest of the kit on the weekend ( when josh can find it) haha. i have LED fog lights made up, chrome handle's and i want the seats re trimmed.
IMG_0015.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg

Last edited:

LUMPY 8

buddaboy1990
Reaction score
SAs biggest retirement village (victor harbor)
Members Ride
Vu r8 maloo, mq patrol beach bus
good start man. U wanna buy some proper Calais tail lights? Im about to wreck my Calais 5ltr donor car and my guarnish is smashed but my tail lights are good. If u want them asap I may need to borrow ur old tail lights until i officially take my donor car off the road lol.

E-T-H-A-N

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack manual
uhmm well the left is a bit chipped and the right is brand new aftermarket i would prefer original lights, i have a mint garnish i sbsolupely stole a grill and garnish off some block for $45!! both mint as. what do you want for the lights ? and any chance of getting the driver side guard mould ? really need one of them. i need a few more things for it too, ill think of them and write them down so when you take it off the road i could possibly grab them too

Last edited:

E-T-H-A-N

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack manual
IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

well its white. considering a manual 5.0 conversion, i have started wet sanding it, the right hand rear quater needs to be blocked back and re-painted because i got a huge ass run in it haha. the rear bar needs to be painted still and so does the side skirts and fog light bezzels but its getting exciting now.

E-T-H-A-N

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack manual
well i got the side skirts and rear lip on saturday. :D i have the silver for the bottom, so i found out that there is 4 diffrent posabillitys of the grey across the bottom but i went with jacaranda grey because mine is a 93 and that was the 93 colour. not entirely sure on the engine yet, i have a few options really i have spoken to a few people about a built turbo buick, i do want to go manual no matter what, i wont be using it as my daily so im not fussed if a turbo uses a little more fuel.

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6
looks good mate, i've alway loved the vp calais