Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp Calais rims and offsets

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Vy Senator Signature 5.7lt auto
Hey guys just another boring question about wheels and suspension. I was wondering what wheels have the right offset for a vp calais with irs. I would like a set of 18s and would like to lower the car about 2.5 inches. Will i be having problems with rubbing with a set of 18s and lowered 2.5 inchs, if so will a camober kit fix this rubbing.

Any help would be great but i am in no hurry to rush out anf buy any thing. The wheels i am interested in woule be either vt internations(17s), vyss(18s), WH Grange(18s), vy clubsport(18s). And if any one has 18s and lowered suspension on a vp calais what problems have you had or has it all worked out for you?

Thanx
:yeah:

gumbs

Spoon?
Reaction score
Members Ride
Jap Crap dreaming of an LS1
the thing you need to remember is you have a different offset. Eg your f###ed. Some after market wheels will fit and vs, vr, vp wheels will fit nothing else.

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
hey

ive been through the exact same thing same car and all. u can get mags with the offset there is just not as much selection. but if u are also gunna lower it with the camber kits the chances are u wont need an offset wheel because when it stands the wheels up there is enough room 2 put a standard offset wheel on without rubbing. i dunno how ud go with 18's but ive got mine quite low with 17inch 235/45/17's on it and there is no way i can get it 2 rub on any guards.

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
brad_m_is said:
ive been through the exact same thing same car and all. u can get mags with the offset there is just not as much selection. but if u are also gunna lower it with the camber kits the chances are u wont need an offset wheel because when it stands the wheels up there is enough room 2 put a standard offset wheel on without rubbing. i dunno how ud go with 18's but ive got mine quite low with 17inch 235/45/17's on it and there is no way i can get it 2 rub on any guards.
How low is your car and do u have a camber kit? I had 17s on my car at one stage at the standard height and they rubbed heaps.

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
hey

i dunno how low it is when i got it done all i asked for was it 2 look nice not stupidly low or anything and yeah ive got the camber kits front and rear ull be lookin at around 1500 all up

cheers

D

dazy

i have a vp commodore lowered 2 inches and just got 18'' VYSS rims. i dont have any camber kits and theres no rubbing....dunno bout the calias tho...

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
dazy said:
i have a vp commodore lowered 2 inches and just got 18'' VYSS rims. i dont have any camber kits and theres no rubbing....dunno bout the calias tho...
The reason you get no rubbing is because you dont have IRS. I wish my car had a different setup but i cant change that. Everything is so expensive to get parts for, I would like an lsd irs diff and that will cost me an arm and a leg and springs you will pay an extra $50 for the set. It sux :ranting:

Linchpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
The standard VP Calais IRS wheels have a +26 offset.

I've been through the same problem, I was set on one type of wheel (18x8" with +42 offset) and pretty much wouldn't take no for an answer regarding them fitting. Two options I had were to fit spacers, illegal but cheap. The other option being to change the hubs (plus the frame attached to it) over to VS ones which cost a fair bit more, the VS hubs extend a further 19mm each side.

In the end I bought a pair of VS hubs (w/ susp. frame thing attached) for about $200, then paid another (after realising I wasn't up to doing the job myself) $250 to install them properly. Then got the wheels I wanted and they fit perfectly, other than being about 25mm closer to the guard lip/spat but still with 10mm space between.

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Linchpin said:
The standard VP Calais IRS wheels have a +26 offset.

I've been through the same problem, I was set on one type of wheel (18x8" with +42 offset) and pretty much wouldn't take no for an answer regarding them fitting. Two options I had were to fit spacers, illegal but cheap. The other option being to change the hubs (plus the frame attached to it) over to VS ones which cost a fair bit more, the VS hubs extend a further 19mm each side.

In the end I bought a pair of VS hubs (w/ susp. frame thing attached) for about $200, then paid another (after realising I wasn't up to doing the job myself) $250 to install them properly. Then got the wheels I wanted and they fit perfectly, other than being about 25mm closer to the guard lip/spat but still with 10mm space between.
Where could I get these hubs from and if i was to go to a wreckers what would i aske for?

Linchpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
Vp_Calais said:
Where could I get these hubs from and if i was to go to a wreckers what would i aske for?
Try your local car wreckers would be the best bet, thats how I found mine. I just asked if they had any VS hubs, although they did give me a few puzzled looks when I was trying to explain what I wanted to do with them. :)

Here's a photo of the stock VP lefthand hub with the frame (not sure what its called), although these are VP this is how I bought the VS ones, which are identical apart from the hub extending a further 19mm. Ended up being easier for me to get the whole lot swapped over rather then just the hub part.

[Added]:
Probably should add a couple of tips if you're looking at this mod. I'm not exactly sure about the legality of it, I was told by the guy who changed the hubs that it was still legal but I have my doubts.

And if you plan to get someone else to do the work might be good idea to have them checkover the parts to make sure they are in working condition and that anything isn't missing, with mine a ring that stops a large nut from loosening wasn't put back on until I realised and told them.

Remember also to get VS or VR discs/rotors that fit on the hubs, and you may need to have the handbrake cables tightened, cause mine was hardly working after the changeover.

Last edited: