Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Calais Running Rough

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais, 1965 Morris Mini
Hi all,

I was driving home the other night and my 92 VP V6 Calais started to stutter a bit. By the time I got home it was stuttering a lot and really lacked power. My gut feeling says it is a blocked fuel filter as it sort of came in surges, but I haven't had a look yet. Any other suggestions of things to look for?

Cheers
Ryan

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
did it studder under acceleration? could be a bunch of stuff. could be coolant getting past your inlet manifold, throttle body issues, sensor problem ect ect...

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
it stutters at idle a little bit but gets worse when trying to accelerate. I checked coolant level, it doesn't seem low, but then again I didn't drive it for very long. I will try swap out the filter tomorrow. The reason I think its fuel is because I had just filled up the tank.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
done anything in the engine bay. i knocked off the map sensor vac tube one day and did this same thing. check for error codes too.

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
No, Haven't touched anything for a long time. I will check codes tomorrow arvo before replacing the fuel filter.

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
Checked the fault codes, got a 12, so that all good.

Changed the fuel filter. It did run better, but the stutter is still there. Hopefully it will clear up a bit more. Its going to the mechanic later in the week. So I will drive the sunday car between now and then.

oh and I checked the coolant and oil again today. Oil looks good. Coolant looked a tad low and a bit greasy. So hopefully its not a head gasket or similar. I couldn't see any signs of water in the oil.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
greasy coolant could be either trans oil getting in through the radiator, or your inlet manifold gaskets as well. the lack of power and stuttering under load sounds like it could be manifold gaskets....

1991VNvacationer

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Vacationer 1971 HQ Kingswood
My bet is that it is the inlet manifold gasket. My car did that and had all the symptoms that you have, poor acceleration and oil in the coolant, i also changed the fuel filter and had slight improvements, but once i changed the gasket it ran sweet.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
water gets by these gaskets casing your problems (possibly).

img1097.jpg

what a replacement kit looks like

MD-HA416.gif

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, it was a dead spark plug lead. Upon testing all the leads they all were a bit crappy. New set of leads and plugs cleared the issue right up. It was a bit odd because it felt totally different to the last car that had an ignition lead failure.