Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Calais Transmission trouble

huntsman482

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais, WH Statesman V8
Hi all, i have a VP Calais with a stock 3.8 6 cyl & turbo 700 transmission in it , but the problem is that when i am sitting on around 100 Kph , the transmission develops a shudder when i am going up hill , or if its got a trailer on , it gets this shuddering when i go up the slightest of hills , it tends to get a little worse , it sounds like i am going over ripple strips on the side of the road , but louder ,, it normally goes away if i go back into 3rd on the shift or if i kick back down to a lower gear , if i have a trailer on , it will start playing up more so , but it generally plays up around the 95 Km - about 105 KM mark ,,,, please , any suggestions on what may be causing this problem , or has anyone had this problem & found the solution for it , please any assistance would be greatly appreciate ,,, Thanks , Ralph :)

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Maybe but it doesn't sound road speed dependent. Maybe slipping torque converter clutch? Maybe just an engine miss though; 'leads, 'plugs?

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Thats the speed for tailshaft wobbles or OoB wheels,if it was the Tranny it should be there thru the whole speed range.

huntsman482

Reaction score
Members Ride
It only seems to shudder around the 100 Km mark , when going up hill & worse with a trailer on , i did Jack up the car & checked the tail shaft & center bearing , & that seem ok , But one think i did notice is that i could move the tail shaft slightly from side to side in the center bearing area , but it was not by much though , maybe a tolerance of about 5 mm in total from 1 side to the other , But in saying that , i had to put a fair bit of pressure on it to do that though , but i expect that there has to be a bit of movement in the center bearing though ,,, also in saying that , if i have a passenger in the car as well , then this problem makes it play up a bit more as well,

also too , i have had a wheel balance & also a wheel alignment as well , & that didn't make any difference either .

huntsman482

Reaction score
Members Ride
also too , the engine doesn't miss that i know of , runs smooth as anything on the highway , or back roads as well ,,, i have never had a problem with it missing since i owned the car

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Maybe slipping torque converter clutch?
See if you can disconnect the wire that makes the torque converter lock and see if it shuts up. That should tell you if it is this or something else.

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
warped TLC, time to replace it