Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP central locking going mental!

N

nualaohagan

hi,

am new to this forum, but was hoping someone could help.. i have a 1991 VP executive, which has central locking and an immobiliser. last weekend, i got out of the car, locked it using the key, and walked away, only to hear it unlocking itself. i checked i wasn't pressing the remote, and it happened a few times. then this morning, was sitting, parked, in the car, and the doors locked and unlocked themselves several times.

i then got out, locked the car, and left, and came back to find it unlocked an hour later.

anyone any ideas? the remote i use was in my bag, so it couldn't have caused it, but we did have another remote (which we thought was dead) in the glovebox. turns out it's able to lock and unlock the doors, so maybe it's been playing up?

i have just spent $600 on a new ignition (and spent about $700 6 weeks ago on an air-con problem) so i really, really don't want to have to go back to the garage with this one.

if anyone has any ideas (maybe i could disable the central locking???) i'd appreciate it..

cheers

Nuala

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
you can disable the central, just pull the fuse (or relay). i dont know where they are on the VP. i dont think it will affect your immobilser so i would imagine if you pull the right fuse youll use the key to get in, then press the remote to enable the ignition.

i dont know why the CL does that but i have seen it happen before. Mums 96 falcon did it, it would lock and unlock constantly you had to pick the exect second to open the door or else you would be locked out again!!!

J

Jonesy1980

re: central locking problem

Most of the time a fault like taht is caused by the remote control either oxidising in the remote or the button has broken away from the circuit board. If you have a second remote take the battery out of the one you are using normally and try the second one if the same thing happens then its not a remote problem and is a bit more serious.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
we had a Toyota Lexen (VR Commodore) and that happened when it was wet weather, took back to toyota, CL system replaced under warranty 2 times, with the problem still occuring. We just dead locked the doors everytime and it didnt unlock

S

Spanner Monkey

If you pull the fuse for the central locking the imobiliser still works. I did it to my car