Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP commodore im thinking of buying.... BARGAIN!!!!

BradCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP SS rep
Hey guys,

My mate has a VP exec V6 5 speed that has been sitting in his driveway for about 6 years under cover and under a car cover and hasnt been run in that whole time, he only wants a couple hundred dollars for it, i was going to buy it and use it for a runaround and put my other VP to rest while i do a few things to it.. what kind of problems might i come across to get it started it has about 150k on the clock and was in perfect running order prior to it losing rego and not been driven since... i already know it needs a battery and power steering fluid (has a leak)..

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
Hell yeah, bargain mate. One thing that may happen though that happened to my mates vk, after a while not being driven there was a problem with the fuel cos it was sitting too long or something (like if it expired or something). We eventually dropped the fuel tank and gave it a good clean out, changed the fuel filter while we were under there, hooked the tank back up then topped her up with fuel. It took a while cranking it to start it but since then she starts first go everytime. Just something that came to mind that may or may not occur....... Good luck mate

BradCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP SS rep
hmmmm yeah thanks mate, i was thinking about the fuel earlier, im 90% sure the tank was bone dry when it was laid to rest. im thinking it might need oil aswell. if its going to be to hard to get her going i was just going to "Borrow" some parts off of it hahaha

LordMayhem

Here For A Good Time!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
be making sure the motor turns over freely by hand first otherwise the rings may have welded themselves to the bores........same issue's with gearbox and diff.........oh and brakes check it all over first otherwise you could be in for a big repair bill

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Oil, fuel, filters, coolant, gaskets. hard to say really. best take a good look at it before you hand over any monies

donboy2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Make sure ya drop the oil out of the enginge auto gearbox and diff . and power sterring in those cars alwats leaks might be just a perished hose.

AGRSSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS, Cammed VN V6 daily
one thing that can happen if you unlucky, like my dad. Is the coolant can cause corrosion inside and eat away the block :( not good. You drive for a while and looks like a blown head gasket, go to change it and there no metal. Pretty unlucky but, and Buick v6's are a dime a dozen, i have a spare one lying in the back of the shed because i can.