Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp commodore tail light bulb holder rusted out.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 1993, VT Commodore 1997
gday

the metal part that holds the tail light bulbs is all rusted out and rooted just curious is it just bout re soldering another one on? can you buy these new also?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i redid 2 looms for my calais. if you can find the same plug type even from another cars loom, you can take a small screw driver and carefully pry the metal ring out and reuse it in the loom you need. i had a hand full of tail looms from other makes and models that had the same metal rings, i just pried the good ones out and pressed them into my calais loom.

alternatively you can just buy new looms off ebay for like 40 or 50 bucks each...

Gunthrop

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
VP Commodore tail light bulb holder Australia

ebay.com.au/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Holden+Commodore+VT+passenger+tail+light+globe+socket+

Spare parts all there…

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
the actual plug is called PICO 5445A. you can buy new ones in bulk and join the wires or just pry out the good ones and reuse them...

thats just one part number, think theres single and double contact bottoms as well. have to make sure you get the right ones...

772952481_640.jpg

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive noticed before that a lot of VR/VS models had some type of grease put into the rear bulb holders from the factory to help stop the holders from corroding. Maybe try some of this grease in the new bulb holders so they dont corrode again. Im not sure exactly what type of grease is used though.

Mudgy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V8
Ever since VH tail lights from GMH have been dodgy.
clean the whole shebang up, make sure the light bucket isn't a fish tank.
Treat all metal parts with a silicon grease heat sink compound around the globe base...also make sure the earths are good.

even use a relay for the brake lights... the pedal switch will last forever. I added the lights on my "S" model, so I had 4 x brake lights, plus the 3rd eye level light. Used a relay to protect the pedal switch. Worked fine.

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Ive noticed before that a lot of VR/VS models had some type of grease put into the rear bulb holders from the factory to help stop the holders from corroding. Maybe try some of this grease in the new bulb holders so they dont corrode again. Im not sure exactly what type of grease is used though.

Would also like to know what this grease is if anyone knows

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
most greases are non conductive so it might be better use some zinc spray, it will protect against corrosion and still conduct electricity...

just spit ballin here...

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 1993, VT Commodore 1997
cheers fellas, i might rip my old one out and take it to an auto shop and see if they got any in stock.
how did u do the whole relay thing mate?

sss1600

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS 6L V8 Auto
Would also like to know what this grease is if anyone knows

Its supposed to be non conductive. It provides lubrication and also surround the metal parts to seal out moisture and stop them from rusting.
Known as Petroleum Jelly, dielectric grease or Vasolene.
We used petroleum jelly at a factory i worked in that made ALOT of electrical parts...