Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Coolant leak inside car at drivers feet

jaza-g

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore V6 Acclaim
Car: Commodore VP 92' V6 3.8
Hi Guys,
I've been through a few repairs on my commy in the last 6 months. Had a rear engine coolant leak ended up replacing the inlet manifold gasket and many other parts, hoses and brass fittings along with it. It's only been giving me a headache. The last few months it's been making a pretty loud bubbling sound (sounds like it's behind my stereo) when accelerating and has been chewing through coolant. I used rislones radiator stop leak and it did stop for a short amount of time. It's been rough idling, burning through petrol and constant headache filling it up with coolant. Recently bout a week ago jumped in the car to go to the shops and there was a puddle of coolant at drivers side feet. I've been told that could be my heater core or tap. Just wanted to ask here as I have got some great advice here before. If that is definitely the problem and what would the best way to go about fixing it? And is there any other issues it could be? Thanks heaps in advance.
Cheers, Jared

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
If its at your feet, its the heater core- that's the only thing on the interior that can leak coolant. Heater tap is in the engine bay.
Heater core is pretty much dash out job to change and a total pain in the ar$e, though I have seen quite a few sorted with ye old stopleak (one for quite a few years).
The bubbling your hearing is because of your low coolant level and the air in the system flowing through the heater core in the dash. Best thing you can do it disconnect/bypass the heater which involves removing the heater hoses from where they connect to the heater core in the engine bay and re-routing/looping/blocking them so they no longer utilise the heater core.
I'd suggest you get your cooling system pressure tested to ensure there are no other leaks. Any reputable radiator mob will do it for nothing, or a nominal fee.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
did you replace the 2 hoses that meet the fire wall in the engine bay, ones the go to the heater core? when i did my heater core i didnt quite get those 2 hose clamps tight enough. a little coolant was leaking out at the fire wall on the inside and getting the carpet wet. all i had to do is nip the clamps up a little tighter. try and find out where exactly its coming from...

bundybear75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
My heater drips down beside my left foot when the heater is set at a certain temperature on the dial.

It's always done this since I've had the old girl. Due to the amount of work required to change the heater core I just top up the overflow bottle when required when I check the oil every couple of fuel stops.

Lately my bigger concern is the coolant leaking from the timing cover gasket. That's on the list for replacement when I have time.

jaza-g

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore V6 Acclaim
Thanks heaps for the replys. I haven't had much time. I'm gonna get out there soon and check it right out.

Any help on where the hoses are located in the engine bay to the heater core?
Also if it still leaks after tightening all the hoses what would the best way be to bypass the heater core until I can afford replacing it?

I've already gone through 2 bottles of rislones radiator stop leak and it only stops it for a month or 2 then the bubbling and leaks start again.

Thanks for all the help.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
You can replace the heater core easily by cutting the 2 pipes that feed the heater that run through the firewall and the actual heater core slides out and then simply install the new core with pipes also cut but with 2 rubber hoses and 4 hose clamps
Do a search... There's plenty of stuff under search under Heater Core

jaza-g

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore V6 Acclaim
Sorry for the late reply. I have now just bypassed my heater core. There was a lot of coolant leaking near drivers feet and at the rear of the engine bay where the hoses go into the heater core. I bypassed by simply cutting the heater pipe that comes out the front of the engine and redirecting it to the heater tap. I am gonna buy all new hoses tomorrow and if it still leaking after replacing those the heater core is next on the replacement list. Thanks heaps for all the replies. Much appreciated.