Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP exhaust questions

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
VP sedan solid rear axle. my exhaust is about worn out and needs replacing. It's standard with centre muffler and rear resonator. I've been given a price of $330 to replace from catalytic converter back by local exhaust shop.
Looking on-line I have found catback systems with no rear resonator for a lot less.
I know nothing about the differences. Happy to get better power/economy but I don't want my car to be noisy. I don't want to spend a lot on an exhaust system either.
Tell me about the options. Cheers.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The system without the rear resonator is a lot louder than with one. If you don't want it too loud, go the rear resonator.

I can send you a cat back with front muffler and rear resonator for $285 that will bolt straight up. Very easy to do yourself.

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
VP sedan solid rear axle. my exhaust is about worn out and needs replacing. It's standard with centre muffler and rear resonator. I've been given a price of $330 to replace from catalytic converter back by local exhaust shop.
Looking on-line I have found catback systems with no rear resonator for a lot less.
I know nothing about the differences. Happy to get better power/economy but I don't want my car to be noisy. I don't want to spend a lot on an exhaust system either.
Tell me about the options. Cheers.

NO reso = dying cow syndrome & very loud drone, you don't want that or the resonation in the cabin from that of type exhaust set up which would be ear splitting if it's your daily (I've been in friends vehicles with no reso & it sucks, can't even hear the sub frequencies properly & they think it's fully hectik?!). My set up is damn near perfect :- VP-S Brand New Hurricane Tri Y Extractors I Fitted + VP-S Straight through S/S 2.5" Sport exhaust system with 200 cell hi flow bullet cat which I completed some at home & also at my mates pipe shop. Excellent low down torque, plus plenty of breathing space at WOT, improved economy as well - all with no drone at all, idle is nice & meaty for a V6. Anyways, NAAF is the go mate plenty of reviews on his stuff here on JC :cool:

VSSS_5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5L
I have pacemakers and a 2 1/2 inch system on my VG ute. I put the pacies on myself ( shoulda painted them first they were second hand =( ). And the exhaust was made up by everlast mufflers in adelaide...There's no rear resonator and whilst it sounds great....to the untrained ear ( i've had people ask me if it was a v8...) And its not THAT loud, I plan at some point in the future to take it back and get a rear resonator of some description put in. The reason being is when I am at a set of lights, and taking off, it always sounds like i am trying too hard...Im not talking about dragging im just talking about taking off at a reasonable pace and not holding up traffic...i can be sitting next to basically any stock exhaust commodore, and to just to the same speed as them it sounds like im thrashing it....when im not.

I should also note that a previous owner has knocked the cat out, which im not thrilled about and will probably replace in the future also, which may quiet it down some more. Again of note is the difference between and auto and a manual when you're talking about exhausts... You can get away with more in a manual and less likely to drone...mainly coz u can just up or down shift if its annoying you.

I have a VS SS with a twin 2 and a half inch system, and my v6 ute aint never gonna sound as good as that...i just really would like it if the thing would stfu a bit when im trying to get places tbh.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
thanks for the responses. I definitely need the rear resonator. The car is one of my favourite places to listen to music and the drone without the resonator sounds like it would be really fatiguing.
NAAF, I may be interested in your offer altho my local guys are really good. They've done lots of little welding jobs for me (on non car jobs) without charging me. Does your price include shipping (NSW) or is that extra?