Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP level 3 speedo and odo not working

hemiceni

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX
Hi all

Speedo and odo stopped working at the same time on VP level 3 dash with trip computer.

I visually inspected speed sensor and found the wires brittle and cracking and barely connected by a couple of strands - so I replaced that with a new sensor before going any further with the issue.

The new VSS didn't solve the issue though, I still have no speedo. And I have now also noticed that my fuel usage instant and average displays are not working either. (I cannot say if these stopped working at the same time, however they definetely did use to work.)

I'm note sure where to check next. Does someone have workshop guides for diagnosing this issue?

Thanks

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
The VSS feeds a signal to the speedo and trip computer. The computer needs that to calculate distance- that's why the fuel consumption readings have stopped- unless the trip computer LCD's have also coincidentally failed as well.

Check fuse 12 in the dashboard fuse panel is OK.

Make sure your replacement VSS is made by a reputable manufacturer- when mine failed I used a Delphi replacement.

Break, clean and remake any relevant connector plugs and earths you can find.

Most of my cluster problems have been caused by cracked or dry joints-its a monster job to track them down through the wiring switches and cluster flexible PCB without the GMH original factory manual- you should try to get your hands on a copy of Volume 6 of the original factory service manuals.

Last edited:

hemiceni

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX
Thanks mate.

My new VSS came from holdspares and is their heavy duty type.

All fuses are good.

My whole cluster was professionally refurbished about a year ago and he used NOS parts where required. It was all working nicely without single fault for nearly a year.

Ive checked continuity of the short loom between the VSS and the plug under the console, which is ok.

Yes, if i had the correct wsm it would help immensely