Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Misses under load

Tim NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
The fuel pump starts slowing down after 10 years,also the strainer can get clogged. ld be replacing fuel pump if only as a maintenance thing.if the problem is still there its back to the engine bay.
Thanks Mate, its on the list to get to..... it passed through my mind that it feels like the pump is 'charging the system' but once the engine received higher demand for fuel it cant keep up ? do fuel pumps get tired like that ?

Tim NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Check your air filter, map sensor and engine block earths.
Cheers, I played around with the air filter a bit .... gave it a clean and put it back... took it out altogether... no difference, so I took the entire intake duct off so as to look into the throttlebody (made no difference either). I took a look at the plugs for the MAP sensor and unplugged it which appeared to make no real difference either... does that lead towards it being the MAP sensor ? (the throttlebody is really grubby inside too).

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
....... do fuel pumps get tired like that ?
Yes,especially if the strainer gets blocked which happens after years of use.
Dealers in Oz. use to replace Harmonic Balancer,high pressure steering hose and fuel pump at 150,000K or 10 years but they all can fail for various reasons before that,all it takes to stuff the pump is a bad dose of contaminated fuel.

Tim NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Quick update.... well it was the the fuel pump. ! I tried the ecu and map sensor first just to be sure before doing the pump... the gauze filter on the end of the old pump was covered in black gunge so it was pretty obvious what the problem was when I got to it.

thanks for your help guys... the mighty machine lives again !

Tim