Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp motor ticking

mikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp
hi everyone,,

i have a vp v6 and the motor is ticking, i have been told its the tappets or lifters. When i accelerate it ticks and when i let go it stops.
just wondering if it is a big job to replace them and a rough price on the parts.

Also im looking for more power, it goes good as is, iv dun pod filter and 3' exhaust cat back with hi flow mufflers and cat, and a 3:4:5 lsd diff.
what would be my next few steps when searching for that bit more power

Thanks mikky

Denso

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp ss commodore
probably for more power id go bigger injectors, tune and maybe a double throttle body or sumthing. should see if u can slap one of those vt calais super chargers on it with a smaller pulley.....

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
I had ticking and ignored it for a year. At the same time, it was using heaps of water. The water was leaking in the valley into the oil. Check your oil cap for cream.

The ticking was from either the blocked lifters or push rods not allowing oil to go to the rockers. I cleaned and fixed it, but the ticking remains - there is some serious wear in a push rod or rocker. These are not adjustable and the fix is to remove the rocker cover, pull out the push rod and replace it with the affected rocker.

If this is not your problem, then it is a stuck valve.

If your ticking is actually a knocking, then your problem is a worn big end bearing - big problem!