Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP New Intake Manifold Gasket Issues

jaza-g

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore V6 Acclaim
Hey guys. Got a VP V6. Had a leak from rear drivers side of intake manifold gasket. Replaced it bout a month ago. Seemed to be fine at the time. No leaks, great compression. Done a couple long trips up to the country. I think the gasket shrunk quite a bit so I tightened the bolts up. Now another week passed n still leaking tiny bit. Just wondering if anyone can tell me whats the best tool to use with the rear bolts. Pretty hard to get to. My sockets, extensions and swivel arms just dont seem to be able to do it. Appreciate any help.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
did you use a little rtv sealant in the corner joins of the 4 gaskets?

jaza-g

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore V6 Acclaim
Certainly did. Im sure I did everything right. Thinking I might have to take throttle body off to tighten the rear bolts. I got the gaskets for it and didnt actually take it off when I replaced the IM gasket. Checked pretty much everything else. Welsh plugs are pretty new. Dont really know what else it could be.

Is it possible to maybe fit a 3/8 spanner in there to tighten those rear bolts, if I can get my hands on one?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
that might be it, just need a little more torque on those back bolts. i think i used a normal spanner on the back ones, but it was like 4 years ago when i did it...

bundybear75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
I'm pretty sure I used a ring spanner as well to tighten the back bolts.....Actually I think I needed a spanner for a number of them.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Gregorys says torque settings for the inlet manifold bolts is only 8 - 12 Nm which I think is 6 - 8 lb/ft. On the torque wrench I borrow from a mate those settings are so low as to be pretty much inoperable.
I dont know if you can do higher settings with the alloy gaskets from Mace but I guess there is a real danger of crushing the plastic ones that are standard.
I've only done inlet manifolds once and they lasted until the con-rod went through the side of the motor when some joy-riders nicked the car.