Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP power windows not working

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais, 1965 Morris Mini
Hi all.

The windows in my VP calais stopped working all of a sudden.

The fuse/circuit breaker and relays are still good. What else can I check?

Ive been told that a common problem with these is solder joins under the switch. Has anybody ever heard of that?

Cheers
Ryan

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
if they all stopped working at the same time it sounds like fuse/circuit breaker or relay. is it vp berlina, SS, or calais? my vp berlina has the vn calais style of power window module. where as the vp calais im pretty sure uses the bcm.

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the response hi-ryder.

It is a 92 VP calais. I'm pretty sure it is the BMC style (no black box under the steering wheel).
I really don't think it is the fuse/circuit breaker, but I'll try a different (third) one tomorrow to be sure.

Ryan

Mudgy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V8
If it's all of them, then it's probably a power supply problem. Use a test light at the switches. Check for + and -.
From there, check the switch outputs. if all good, go to each motor and check for voltage there.

A test lamp is cheap, and if you know how to use one, it becomes a 2 dollar tool that can make you a lot of money.

my 2c.

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
If it's all of them, then it's probably a power supply problem. Use a test light at the switches. Check for + and -.
From there, check the switch outputs. if all good, go to each motor and check for voltage there.

A test lamp is cheap, and if you know how to use one, it becomes a 2 dollar tool that can make you a lot of money.

my 2c.

Thanks for the advice mudgy,

Today I tried re soldering the back of the switches as recommended by an autoelectritian, but that didn't solve it. I also tried replacing the circuit breaker fuse and relay but that didn't help either. I've got a feeling that it's the control unit which I believe is in the BCM.

I'll borrow a test lamp and see how I go.

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
Out of interest what are the two relays mounted to the left of the fuse box? They have a lot of orange wires coming out of them and aren't shown on the diagram.

Mudgy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V8
orange typically on holdens is a battery wire, usually for interior lights. (dome).

Are you sure VP has a BCM? I was under the impression this didn't happen until VR. Could be wrong though. It's been a while.

BCM's sometimes (on other makes too) would give the power window circuit some juice on a timer, so you could put the windows up even after you removed the key. About one minute was all they would give on average.

I do know the front bank of window switches were a problem, and are getting harder to find these days.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
orange typically on holdens is a battery wire, usually for interior lights. (dome).

Are you sure VP has a BCM? I was under the impression this didn't happen until VR. Could be wrong though. It's been a while.

BCM's sometimes (on other makes too) would give the power window circuit some juice on a timer, so you could put the windows up even after you removed the key. About one minute was all they would give on average.

I do know the front bank of window switches were a problem, and are getting harder to find these days.

yeah i just stripped a 91 vp calais today for the dash loom and hvac system, bcm is the only module under the dash... screwed in on the right of the steering column just under the cluster.

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride

This is a pic of under the dash. What would the two relays on the left be for?

Grega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT1 Berlina, VX1 Berlina, VX2 Berlina
dude, does your VP have a BCM - it should be tucked away above the fuse box on the right hand side of that pic.
those relays there might be replacing the old power window module from the VN style, although the wiring colors don't align