Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp running rough when at operating temperature.

jackvanlawick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VP Series 2 (Executive)
Hey Guys,

I have searched tons of threads but could not find anything relevant to my problem so here we go.

My car runs brilliant in the morning. Engages Drive, Park, Reverse etc with hardly any movement in the rear end.

My problem now is that when my car starts to warm up / get hot it runs really rough.

There are no problems with acceleration or anything just when selecting gears it clunks and the car jolts forward / backward.

I'm just wondering if maybe this is a result of a bad tail shaft / diff mount or would it be something to do with my transmission?

also when the car is cold and i'm changing into drive the revs stay at the same 600-800rpm. whereas when the car is running at normal operating temperature and i select drive the revs will drop almost to nothing and the car will try and stall for a split second until it picks up again.

TPS and IAC were both replaced in the past 6 months. Replaced the oxygen sensor and spark plugs in last 2 days. Full service was done no more then 2 weeks ago. Car is displaying code 12

any help would be appreciated. Thank you :)

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 1993, VT Commodore 1997
my vp does the same thing, did you find out the cause? my car when it gets hot if i have to slow down for something like road works the car chugs back and forth like in a rocking motion when you have the foot off the accelerator just rolling at idle.

im swapping out a few things but im hoping a diff service incl mount and trans service incl mount and a few other things on the engine like IAC,TPS, fuel pressure regulator, fuel damper, injectors as well as a service like oil and plugs etc etc. im up for a bit of a bill, i got the front suspension up for renewal as well :(

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Is there a transmission cooler involved in there somewhere?
How's the fluid level in the transmission?

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 1993, VT Commodore 1997
Is there a transmission cooler involved in there somewhere?
How's the fluid level in the transmission?

i did a trans service not long ago im gonna do another though. the fluid level seems just a tad high

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
vac leak?
cts?

dfi module? cas? although there are error codes for the cas and dfi module as it's heat related..... if they're still working in a fashion and still sending signals to the ecu it won't always think there's a fault.

fatboyvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vr commodore
try map sensor my vr did the same thing but worse and the hose to the map sensor was blocked