Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp ticking at low revs

B

BR377

Mine is the injectors, and its really bloody loud ifi go in a tunnell

V

VNBOY

HDT_aero said:
total bs cause my g/fs ticks and shuts up after 30 secs and mine doent make a sound. you would have to be insane to believe its normal esecially when you can hear it in the cabin!!!!!!

the injectors should make a extreamly soft ticking and that is normal but you should be able to hear it unless you have the bonnet up and are listening for it. if i had a guess your ticking issues are either lifters, valves, tappets or stuffed injectors. and if i were you id put an oil pressure guage on it to make sure its not oil related.

sorry, i will rephrase.

it is a common fault for a Buick powered cars to make this ticking noise, not all do it, and some are louder than others, mine only ticks a little bit only idle.

V

vsII manual

I reckon your right VNBOY.
Every VN commo onwards i have had or my mates have had all made ticking, some worse than others.
Sometimes it is a distinctive injector tick, other times it is more of a lower back engine tick which comes and goes.
Beats the hell out of me what it is.

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
its damn annoying i had thought once that it was the gudgin pins but that was like 3 yrs ago and if they were stuffed id have a stuffed commie by now

stewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec and VP
Someone said that the ticking noise is possibly the fuel pump pulsing the fuel through the fuel lines echoing off the fire wall. Does anyone think that this makes sense?

RS 2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 /VR V6
earlier V6 powered cars vn/p are more prone to fuel line pulsation than others .To check if that is the noise ,all you have to do is hold the fuel delivery hose and feel whether the noise is syncronised with the pulse and if it is try a new fuel dampner located underneath the throttle cable bracket.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Argh all VN's make a loud tick, it's just the injectors firing, all injected cars make ticking noises, just the VN is exceptional :p, But you shouldn't be able to hear it driving along or even with the bonnet down, unless you have no sound proofing anymore

B

BR377

They didn't do it when they were new, somehow even though its not a problem i don't think its normal!

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
greenfoam said:
Argh all VN's make a loud tick, it's just the injectors firing, all injected cars make ticking noises, just the VN is exceptional :p, But you shouldn't be able to hear it driving along or even with the bonnet down, unless you have no sound proofing anymore

if you can hear it from the vehicles interior....i'd be looking elsewhere
does the sound/ticking alter when in neutral,does it die down in neutral?
points to look at.
1..harmonic balancer
2..balanceshaft bearings....VN's are renowned for wearing them out,maybe i should say the buick V6's are renowned for it.
3..flex plate if you have an auto,but that noise gets extremely loud over a couple of days,especially if you continue to drive it.flex plate noise is like big end noise but has a distinctive rattle to it

stewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec and VP
Excuse my ignorance, mine is a VP auto, but what and where is the Flex plate.
I have read all theads so far and checked out the suggestions, but still the damm ticking is there. Am abou to get a new sound system installed so I cant hear it.