Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP V6 fuel pump replacement

leary360

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
Hi there,
My son and I are getting an old VP sedan going that’s been sitting for a while.

Initially there was no fuel pump noise when ignition was turned on and wouldn’t fire.
It ran on aero start so I assumed it was a fuel pump.
Purchased the following pump.

https://www.holdcom.com.au/products/74586

When installing it I noticed it was a little shorter and it didn’t have the correct plug, I done a little research and it was listed on many sites as the correct pump.
We cut the plug, put some terminals on and extended the rubber connecting hose.

Car started, idled and stopped.
Would still run on aero start but struggled to run on fuel, would idle down and stop.

Removed fuel lines and flushed all lines, found dirty fuel in most lines and rail. Figured injectors were blocked.

Put a service kit through injectors and still no difference.

I’ve since done some more googling and found fuel pumps with the correct plug that I assume is more like the one that came out.

https://www.holdspares.com.au/holden-commodore-vq-vp-vr-vs-v8-electric-fuel-pump

I’m just curious as to if we’ve put the wrong pump in and maybe it’s not getting enough pressure.
Anyone confirm this as I couldn’t find any info in the search?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Series 2 VP verses series 1

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
When I redid the fuel pump in my VP ute, it was something I [think] I recall. Goes back a way though. There were quite a few little differences within them between series that were trivial.

Check out VR pumps and see if the connector is the same.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i can only see VN some has the internal/external pumps, the VP to VS all had the same single intank pump, unless there was a real oddball one out there on the crossover vn-vp

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I ripped out a couple of senders with plug adapters in the past. So the plug wiring change had a fix available in the 90s or thereabouts.

I have always used goss pumps.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
i can only see VN some has the internal/external pumps, the VP to VS all had the same single intank pump, unless there was a real oddball one out there on the crossover vn-vp

Yes,country pack with the larger fuel tank,external pump as well as in tank pump.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
The pumps for VP's and VQ2's need to supply 24 grams/sec of petrol @240kPa. The pump you bought also fits carby models- the data sheet says its a low pressure pump-so it may not develop the pressure need for an injection system.

The Goss pump looks more like the original. I'd ask the supplier how much fuel it would deliver at 240 kPa.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the smaller intank pump is only a ''lift pump'' to get fuel to the main second external pump, u will need the main intank pump to work properly

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
My 304's got one pump- I just checked the GMH manual to make sure I wasn't missing something.

There is one in tank pump , capable of supplying up to 575 kPa and the fuel rail must be set up to supply the injectors with fuel regulated to a pressure between 235 and 320 kPa.