Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP V8 run cruddy

piquet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP HSVenhanced SSLC GTR XU!,LH L34, VZ Thunder S
I have a hassle with my VP HSV enhanced SS which is sending me round the twist

The problem is intermittent which adds to the frustration.

Seems that the car is dying when at constant revs on freeway as if it is starving for fuel,but when it starts to do this if I accererate it will clear and run clean and properly again. Engine doesn't missfire at all although it sometimes backfires when the revs drop too much

Other symptoms are the engine management light flickers all the time with the engine running and also when the ignition is switched on and engine not running.Although it sometimes goes out for days only to reappear again

It happens whether a full load of fuel nearly empty or any where in between.

Yesterday went for drive and it did it on way to city on freeway but not on the way home.

So far I have replaced Fuel Pump,Fuel Filter, Ignition module and Oygen sensor. Checked fuel line for blockage and also return line, all clear

Next item to try would seem to be fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail.

Have had the car to dealer and put on diagnostic,no codes came up

HELP!!!! where to next
cheers
peter

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Test for a error code as soon as you see the light but I would say you are right in suspecting the regulator. It sounds like it's running rich

andynogo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina V8 wagon
That flickering engine light should be the clue.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=49313

Computer.

I had pretty much the same symptoms and as soon as I put my memcal in another computer (out of a camira for heaven's sake!), it ran perfectly.

Get a VP V6 computer (i.e. newer is better- more life left in it?) that works well and swap the memcals over and you might find all your problems go away like I did...

piquet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Eureka

Many thanks to you all. I went onto ebay and bought a recoed ECM, Put my memcal into the whizz bang box, came home and plugged it into the car.
Turned ignition on engine managment light came on brightly,no flicker, started car and light went out. Just like it should

Am about to take car for a drive and see what happens
I will put details of the supplier on this thread later. He is great to deal with and has a 100% positive feedback. Cant ask for any better
cheers and again thanks
peter

piquet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP was cruddy now good

Mmany thanks for the advice.
The change in the ECU solved the problems.
Below is a link to the guy that I bought the ECU from.
He is a really good guy with all sorts of bits and pieces on ebay
His prices are good and his 100% positive feedback is a genuine plus in the sometimes murky spaces of ebay
The ebay item number was 110077165949 and then go to his other listed items for all sorts of VN,VP,VR,VS.VT items

cant praise the guy enough
cheers
peter

piquet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V8 running cruddy again

Well a recoed ECU solved the problem for a short while but all the same problems and a few more seem to be back.
Now it runs ok for a while but then seems to die. Like a lack of fuel??
Then it is a pig to restart and when it does it runs really bad and blows a heap of black smoke.

Engine managment light comes on sometimes shortly after starting the car and then the fan starts up. The after driving the fan stops and the light goes out.

I have followed the instructions on how to get a fault code in the relevant thread on this great wbsite but it wont throw a code !!!!

So far I have replaced Fuel pump,Fuel Filter, Ignition module, put in a recoed ECM, cleaned out the throttle body.

I know its not plug leads as the tacho is not runing eratically which is the symptom for that problem.

So to all the wiser heads than me out there where do I go next?
Memcal, Fuel Pressure regulator, Injectors?????

Or is it about time to take it to someone who may know what the hell they are doing cause it seem. But it takes about an hour with an unreliable car to get to anywhere more than 5-8 km from home

Memcal? Do these have problems ? I havent heard of any/many.
Fuel Pressure regulator? supposedly dont pose too many problems either two types for V8 Approx $165 or $300 Mine will be the $300 type

HELP IM LOST

again HHHHHEEEELLLLPPPP
peter

Chuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
Fan coming on when you start the car indicates it's in limp home mode. As soon as this happens check for a code and let us know the outcome.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2 3.8L
it seems when the computer learns to run **** again it would be injector related to me? Where are you, i have a cable and a laptop you can find out more clues that way.

piquet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS still running cruddy a continuation

many thanks for your input.
I'm in Melbourne so may be a bit far away from Kingston , of course supposing that it is the Kingston in SA, not a Melbourne Southern Suburb

Another hint may be that this only seems to happen at low revs/ idle. The idle drops off to 500 rpm and then engine just stalls. Takes a while of cranking over before it starts and then it belches black smoke like its flooded.

Could this all be a really dirty/ grotty throttle body? It was cleaned not that long ago but who knows!!!!!!! I sure as hell dont.:bang:

Tomorrow I will start it up again and see if fan starts up and then check code with the old paper clip thingy again

I really do thank you all for your assistance
cheers
peter

piquet

Reaction score
Members Ride
still

:bang: :ranting:

Ok recleaned throttle body started fine then ran ok for a while and then started the same old crappy things again. Now Im really lost

GRRRRRRR:bang: :bang:
going to put some new plugs in and try it all over again