Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vp versus ford EL

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
take it to a drag strip?

i cant make a call because im not familiar with the ford model range though looking at that you will atleast get the start, then its a case of riding your lighter weight over the line hoping the difference in grunt wont help the ford too much.

Sphinx

O.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais II LS1
Find a nice long stretch of road, stomp it from a standing start and try to keep watch of at what rpm the auto shifts. Atleast that way you can judge if it's worth starting in 1st and holding gears through the rev range.

nuttered

Reaction score
Members Ride
'91 VP Berlina
I've got a VP, with stock engine, my old man has an EL. although the cars havent been raced, I'd have to say they feel pretty similar in speed when you plant your foot. Was a little while ago, but i'd also say VP although the EL might have better top end speed

habro

Resident Car Hack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I raced my mates EL when he first got it. Both completely stock autos and with full petrol tanks, I flogged the life out of him. The VP just has a supreme jump from the get-go. Up to 90 I was pulling away then he slowly started catching up til we got to 120 then that was enough speed to declare a winner but I still won by a long way. Both cars in great condition so I'd definitely say from a standing start, the VP should always win and win well

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Tekka said:
Both are auto's and both good condition, My Vp calais is pretty damn quick up in the High rev range, the new extractors and 2.5inch zorst and cai help it alot. But if there was a race like 400m ( im not going to race) would it be best to start in first and get as much as possible out of each gear, even though it's only an auto??

Launch in 1st gear manual shift it at 5200 rpm, it will actually shift just an instant before the rev limiter, shift at the same point again from 2nd to 3rd and your VP should cut through the 1/4 mile somewhere in the 15's and very unlikely the EL will be anywhere close, especailly if he's letting the auto shift. Also you might gain a fraction of a second if you load up the converter before you launch, that is foot on the brake, and push the accelerator a little bit untill you feel the car straining and "torqueing :p" up like twisting, then stomp it and let go of the brake at the same time and you should get off the line very fast if your tires can hang on

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Mate your VP would win hands down.