Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Water leaks and temp issues

xEnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp
Hi, i have searched around and not found the correct problem that i'm having.

I have a VP Commodore wagon, have had it for about a year now and all was running fine until a month ago.

A month ago i was driving a short distance and realized my temprature guage was about 1 small bar away from the max/H. I quickly pulled over and checked it out, the engine felt very hot (and not being a huge car person, i decided to take the radiator cap off, it spewed out with hot water and luckily i didn't have my face near it (yes this is probably common sense not to take the cap off)

anyway the water tank was completely empty. i then filled it up and the radiator, it lasted about 2 days before it seemed completely empty again. Friends with little car knowledge seem to think it's the thermostat or a cracked head, i'm wondering if anyone possibly knows what it is, more accurate than them anyway.

I drive for 2 days then fill the car up with water again (as it's usually just about empty after 2 days) however even sometimes when the car is full with water, the temp gauge can go up to hot, and then back down, it's quite random ever since this started happening. any tips would be appreciated.

also it only leaks when the car is running. i can leave it for a week without driving it and water will still be there

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
If I was a betting man I would vote your water pump has either died or the gasket has blown on ya, but you really need to find out where the leak is coming from, it could be quite a few things. Look around the engine bay for any obvious water marks. Try topping the coolant up again, then starting the car up with your bonnet up and have a look around and under the engine while the car is idling for any leaks. Good luck with it mate

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
Also check your oil and if its all milky and **** then thats a sign you may be getting coolant into your oil which is a very bad sign

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
just a thought of something else it could be lol sorry for all the posts. When checking for engine leaks and water stains be sure to check around the top of the engine around the intake manifold as those gaskets are reenown (lol not sure how to spell that) for busting, particularly around the back of it

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I'd be changing the radiator cap first and when you refill the engine with coolant you need to bleed out the air witht he brass valve on the thermostat cover. Remember to use the correct type and mix of coolant and addign it pre mixed if ther eis just water in there at present will dilute it too much.
After you do this see if it stil uses water and if you don't see a leak on the outside of the engine then it's probably a shot gasket and it is leaking into the engine.

I hope when you fille dit up after you tookthe cap off you waited for it to cool down? When you take the cap off the pressure in the system drops and the coolant will boil as the boiling point goes up as pressure increases so taking the cap off is not a very good idea, it may well have been full until you did this and it spewed out.