Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp whining noise when accelerating.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
If it's diff pinion bearings the sound often varies with engine load. So if you rev it sitting in you driveway or whilst coasting in neutral you obviously wont hear it but on the highway you can almost play a tune by going on and off the throttle.

First things first replace the noisy tensioner pulley because that's just gonna make it harder to track down a diff whine

jackvanlawick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VP Series 2 (Executive)
just replaced the tensioner pulley and changed the diff oil. i used some saf-xa fully synthetic rear axel oil but that hasn't seemed to help much. would it mean the diff pinion bearingscould be on the way out? also, now that i think about it the noise may be coming from the engine... or maybe i am wrong and my mind is playing tricks on me. really quite hard to diagnose where the noise is coming from when it can only be heard whilst driving.

also getting a loud clunk when shifting from park to reverse to drive etc etc. car sort of shifts back and forth when engaging too. hasn't been a problem though... the car runs beautiful.

thanks to those who have tried to help so far :)

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
mine makes a slight whine when reving it, with the clutch in and in neutral pretty sure its the alternator as I put the old style vn 75amp? one on my VP as I have a lot of troubles with the later 120 amp alternator. it has the big fan on the outside, the newer alternators has it on the inside built into it. The big fan on it screams when you rev it :)

did you run it without the belt?

if its still there without the belt its either the tranny or the gear on the balancer shaft due to worn balancer bearings increasing the gear backlash.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
just replaced the tensioner pulley and changed the diff oil. i used some saf-xa fully synthetic rear axel oil but that hasn't seemed to help much. would it mean the diff pinion bearingscould be on the way out? also, now that i think about it the noise may be coming from the engine... or maybe i am wrong and my mind is playing tricks on me. really quite hard to diagnose where the noise is coming from when it can only be heard whilst driving.

also getting a loud clunk when shifting from park to reverse to drive etc etc. car sort of shifts back and forth when engaging too. hasn't been a problem though... the car runs beautiful.

thanks to those who have tried to help so far :)

Is the noise Road speed dependent, RPM dependent, or does it vary with engine load? Figuring this out will eliminate a lot of possibilities and tell you where to focus. You really gotta narrow it down a bit otherwise its impossible to find

You basically should be looking for things you can do to make the sound come and go at will (change gear, on/off the throttle, rev it in neutral etc). If you do that the problem will be very easy to narrow down

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
sounds like you should have a good look at your drive shaft with that clunk when going from drive to park to reverse. Worn uni joins can make a fair bit of noise and there is a centre bearing and a constant velocity join in there too.

jackvanlawick

Reaction score
Members Ride
it seems as though the whining noise has gotten quiter since changing the diff oil and the idler pulley. i'm thinking maybe the uni joints are worn pretty bad which may be causing the clunk when engaging gears. other then that the only problem i am having it that after leaving my car overnight it tends to rev really high in the morning (when engine is completely cold) before it will change gears. but after it has cycled through all 4 gears it will run fine... would this be the cause of a blocked transmission filter?

thanks for all the help guys

jackvanlawick

Reaction score
Members Ride
okay so the problem persists. and i have narrowed it down a little so hopefully someone can help me.

the whine happens when reving the engine. it happens in all gears (P,R,N or D). I have also taken the drive belt off and it continues so it can't be a pulley...

any help would be greatly appreciated.