Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP won't turn over

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
So the problem is this, I'll go for a drive, park my car come back and it won't start. Now the wierd thing is it only happens when the weather is warm! Cold day, no issues! Hot day, nada. When I say won't start I mean all the lights are on but when I turn the key to start, it doesn't turn over. The stereo turns off, so there is obviously a connection being made, but the starter doesn't fire. Sometimes it will hesitate and then fire on the second try, but lately I've had to leave it for several hours (til well after dusk) when it's cold to get the bloody thing going.

When it starts it'll fire up fine. The starter sounds strong and it turns over quickly.

So far I've ruled out the starter (replaced with brand new), the battery (also replaced) the park/neutral switch (bridged) and the starter relay (replaced). Is there anything I'm missing in the circuit?

I can't for the life of me work this out! Any help would be hugely appreciated!

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Sounds like the crank angle sensor.

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
Surely it would still turn over if the CAS was bad wouldn't it?

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
And thanks for your speedy reply!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Yeah. I had the same problem. Engine would crank and keep cranking, but would not turn over.
Also look for any leaks around the bottom of the engine near the starter motor. Mine was full of gunk from a leaky timing cover gasket.

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
Yeah sorry, it won't crank at all. As in, turn the key and nothing happens except the stereo turns off. That's why I'm confused. New CAS is coming anyway.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Heat soak to ta starter is my guess change ya starter see if that helps its to do with the inside of the starter expanding from the heat and it's to tight to turn over.

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
I thought it was heat soak too! Alas, it seems its not. The starter is brand spanking. Changed it on Wednesday last week and still having the same issue.

Took it for an hour long drive on the FWY this evening and when I got home it started fine 30 seconds later. Yet this afternoon it left me stranded at uni after sitting for two hours in the car park.

I suspect it may be an earthing issue. I've measured 5 ohms resistance between the block and the negative terminal, this strikes me as being a bit high so I'm going to go over that and see if I can't clean up the earth points and get that resistance down.

DavoVP

Reaction score
Mate give the wires a jiggle on the back of the ignition barrel while the key is in the start position. Mines does the same thing on hot days !

The problem in the back on the ignition barrel is cracking with age and things aren't making contact as they should be, A quick jiggle of the wires gets it going again. Or alternatively if the reds still come on you can pin the starter relay under the bonnet and crank your car over.

The first time mine bailed me up i did this, then after it did it a few more times I started grabbing wires and it wasn't until i moved the wires coming from the back of the ignition barrel it started again.

And yes like yours if its cold I don't have a drama ( cabin temp )

But on a hot day it just wont turn over. I have left it how it is for now ( 14 months ) and all it needs is a jiggle every now and then.

yogi_b

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6
That would make sense! I had a brief thought that it might be related to the cabin temp. Car was broken into a while ago and the ignition switch isn't in the best shape since. Hello eBay for a new switch!

I will keep you posted on the results! Thanks for your help!