Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vq 5l injector leaks

lildavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
Just trying to figure out if my injectors are leaking I think my starting problem is to do with the fuel system flooding also the car stinks of fuel when it's switched off. Is there a way to test for leaks or would the fuel pressure reg be causing the problem

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
You just need to undo the injector rail, and pop the rail and injectors from their seat.

Once you have done that, disconnect the coil lead, prop up the rail so the injectors can spray and have a mate crank the car while you look it them.

Contrary to what most people on here will think, all 8 will fire at once, so don't panic when that happens, its meant to.

I'm having the same issue at the moment with over fuelling.

I changed out the MAP sensor (as it can send the ECU an injector pulse too great) but it didn't work for me.

Next I'm trying is the o2 sensor on the exhaust, and if that fails, a new distributor just turned up in the very unlikely case the hall effect sensor is sending out a bad pulse and I'm mistaking the over fuelling for unburnt fuel due to weak spark.

The fuel pressure reg was something I thought of in my drama, but I know bugger all about them. Just remove the vac hose of the back of the reg and see if its leaking, if it is then its toast. Speaking of vaccum hoses, check all of them. if its leaning out it will dump plenty of fuel in to compensate.

If you fix it, can you let me know, coz it will most likely help me out too...

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
My car had an injector problem. It fouled plugs and was hard to start (need throttle to start). Changed injectors and all fine, the exhaust was quite sooty too and puffing a bit of black smoke on revs, sounded like it had a slight misfire too from memory.

lildavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
Somtimes when it starts it really struggles to rev up it will sputter abit then the revs will jump up. Couple times has needed some throttle to start. Has been have a small miss lately plugs have been chamber few months ago with new plugs new rotor and dizzy cap.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
I'm having the same issue at the moment with over fuelling.
How about the water temp sensor, the one for the ECU, not the one for the dashboard gauge. Just above the water pump. I had the wire fall off mine and it made the ECU think the engine was stone cold so it idled bad being over fuelled even when hot. Maybe that or perhaps the sensor itself has gone bad.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
How about the water temp sensor, the one for the ECU, not the one for the dashboard gauge. Just above the water pump. I had the wire fall off mine and it made the ECU think the engine was stone cold so it idled bad being over fuelled even when hot. Maybe that or perhaps the sensor itself has gone bad.

Funny you say that, because I swear I noticed a dicky wire on it and mentioned it to a mate who was looking at the car with me but nothing came of it.

I'll pop down and have a look.

lildavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
i only have a faulty oxy sensor. still trying to find this problem dont realy want to go get the injectors cleaned and tested if there not going to a problem

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
i only have a faulty oxy sensor. still trying to find this problem dont realy want to go get the injectors cleaned and tested if there not going to a problem

Well you can see if they are rooted by the spray pattern, did you test them like I said?

And check you don't have fouled plugs or dodgy leads.

Clean the plugs and see how you go.

lildavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
nar havnt been able to have time to do that test yet, nar plugs and leads where replaced not even a month ago id say has good spark but yeah got the feeling to much fuel is getting in seems to be more if the car had been runnign and i turn it off and start it again after 15 mins it doesnt want to start again takes a few turns of the key to get it spurrter at me

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you replaced the oxy Sensor yet? Might be rooted and not picking up how much fuel is actually passing through it, thus telling it its leaning out and the ECU is telling the MAP sensor to open the injector pulse longer?