Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vq caprice cruise control

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq caprice v8 vq v8 vs ss man
I have had a scratch around on here but haven't found anything remotely close
Finally getting around to finish off the caprice dug out the cruise control unit and the case has gone all white and crusty with corrosion and inside is almost a solid lump of corrosion I could clean it out but I have 3 vr vs V8 cruise control units laying around in very good condition will they plug and play with the vq body loom as I know there is some big differences between vr vs and VN VP VQ electrical wise clusters climate control units ect are not compatible with out modifications
Seen a Canadian fella a while back on you tube using what looked like the same Bosch cruise control units as our cars go on a carby fed hot rod with a ford transmission he was building and his explanation was the Bosch units just need a speed signal didn't go into a lot of detail but from my understanding it gets a speed signal you press set and it just maintains that same speed signal adjusting the throttle to match what was set

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
The cruise control gets it's speed signal through the cluster- I don't believe the VN/VP speed signal from the cluster is the same as the VR/VS.

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I know the speed signal is different VN VP to vr vs then getrag is is its own thing
In theory the cc unit doesn't actually know the speed it just pulse input you set it at X number of pulses per second min being 40kmph
All the cc unit is doing is maintaining what X pulses per second you have set it at I
I don't want to go plugging it in and setting fire to the dash loom like what happens if you put a vr vs cluster in a VN VP

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Ok, you know the VR/VS cluster is a generation later than the VN/VP even though they look the same.

There's a heap of electronic stuff in that switch but the chances are if the plugs are the same then good old GMH used the same switch for both series.

Are there any part numbers on the switches you can compare?

The problem with the CC is that you can only test really it on the open road, although I tested the low speed self diagnostic stuff with the back wheels on car stands during covid.

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm asking if the vs V8 Cruze control unit will work in the vq not the switches
The vq one I have is full of corrosion and some how Ive managed to accumulate 3 vr vs V8 ones has the same plug as vq one doesn't mean it will work

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Sorry I misunderstood. The cruise control module gets its signal directly from the trip computer. From memory the VSS signals into the trip computer and the signals out are very different between the VN/VP and VR/VS, but I might be wrong.

I have swapped over CC modules with very different part numbers, and they worked, but they were all sold as suitable for a VP/VQ. Maybe ask a reputable Commodore wrecker?