Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vq heater not working

lildavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
My vq heater will not work, everything ells works fine just won't get any heat, I did a self dai on the unit and it came back fine. What ells is there I should be looking for? It runs the two pipe heater tap as well it's giving heat once but didn't last long before went cold again

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
whats the state of your heater tap in the engine bay (could be stuck shut). find out if theres a vacuum leak or a vac line has come loose.

have a look a the operating rod that runs to the footwell near where the heater core pipes are visible, make sure the rod is still attached and the clip hasent broken. otherwise it cant press the vacuum valve open and closed to operate your heater tap.

lildavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
Heater tap looks pretty new I did have to adjust a setting on the control unit today but no sensors are saying there fault seems to switch between vents fine. Just yeah no heater as of yet. Vac line doesn't seem to to lose or anything on the Tao it self. Where about is the connecting rod like driver or passenger side iv got the radio facai off atm

lildavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
Also the heater tap pipes going into firewall wernt hot at all same two inside the car top radiator hose pipe was pretty warm.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
if you crank the knob to hot and go the the engine bay and feel the temp of the the hose after the tap is cold, then you know hot coolant isnt getting past the heater tap. either cause its rusted shut, you have a vac leak, or the rod that presses the vac valve on your hot cold knob has popped loose.

lildavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
It's a climate control one too but I don't think any coolant goes through the cabin atm iv had the car up to temp all hoes feel cold so I'll take the tap off today and see if blocked or rusted or somthing

luckyvt94

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Thunder SS
I had the same kind of issue in my old vt. I changed the thermostat and they worked perfectly

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's a climate control one too but I don't think any coolant goes through the cabin atm iv had the car up to temp all hoes feel cold so I'll take the tap off today and see if blocked or rusted or somthing

whoops, i think i read it as vg not vq... i actually havent trouble shoot'd and had an electronic climate control setup apart. just try and find out whether your coolant is actually getting past the heater tap, and that when you push the button for hot theres vacuum getting to the heather tap to open it. other than that i think someone else will chime in where i leave off...

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
heater not working is usually due to vacuum being held on the heater tap.
fault lies with the vacuum block under your stereo.

unplug and block off the vacuum line to your heater tap and go for a drive with your dash fan running. I'll bet you'll find the air is hot now.

Shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute
Pull the heater hoses off and use a garden hose to flush it out.... there can be quite a bit of crap built up in there