Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vq statesman 5 litre overheating

LOWPSI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ stato
Hey guys, i have a vq statesman, 5 litre, 286 cam, 40 thou oversized pistons, ported head, etc.

I recently done the head gaskets, the temperature sits on around 1/2 - 3/4, i felt how hot the top radiator hose was and it was hot, i then checked the bottom hose and it was cold, its got a reco radiator in it, also has the thermostat removed, could anyone suggest what the problem could be?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
an air block (bleed that puppy) or a blocked radiator(maybe some **** fell in when heads done or something) would be my guess.(as long as it was at operating temperature when you checked the hose)

LOWPSI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ stato
How do you bleed it, i cant find any bleeding screws anywhere.... i just put the water level higher then the engine... im pulling the radiator out later to flush it out.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
fark got an email adress ill just email you the info........ pm me

LOWPSI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ stato
Okay so i just pulled the radiator out flushed it, ran fresh water through the engine to see if it was blocked anywhere and seems to be flowing quite freely, i reset the timing (with the computer bridged) its still overheating though.... Is it possible that the waterpump has **** itself internally? I thought they only stuff up if they leak water???

Anyone got any ideas as to what it might be, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
hmm
well with those mods and thinner block it will run a little hotter anyway..
my next choice would be check fan's
possibly the sender for your gauge is faulty. (or its normal temp for your car)
undo a heater hose with car off start it and rev it does water spurt out fast? water pump blades okay if not blades rusted away (norm very high kilometers but and probs noisy as)
then if all else fails and no leak anywhere get yourself a lower temperature thermostat!~ if you cant stand it sitting at that section of the gauge!~

LOWPSI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ stato
It has no thermostat in it at the moment, before the head gaskets blew it use to always run on 1/4 temp, now its sitting on 3/4 - hot, it built up pressure before and split one of the heater hoses, i will check the water pump when the engine cools down, hopefully thats all it is....

Thanks for your help :)

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
so the head leaked compression into coolant and blew hose?
and not cap unlucky...... or cap is screwed should have released the preasure first but anyway

LOWPSI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ stato
okay i just pulled a hose of then and started it and reved it to abour 5000 rpm, the water pushed out probably just above the manifold, if that normal?

LOWPSI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ stato
What do you mean the head leaked compression into the coolant??? Im assuming the pressure in the hoses is from the water boiling, causing steam which builds the pressure.